Just out if curiousity
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Just out if curiousity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Just out if curiousity

So out of curiosity an in full aware that there is probably not a 1 way fits all circumstantial question, how is it one goes about decommissioning old WWII guns. Say for example a full auto sten or some German long rifles. Haven't actually checked the models in a while so I don't have specifics. Which I understand is more than likely the necessary to answer the question. But anything I should be looking for specifically

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

They are decommissioned several ways. Cutting in half thru the action with a torch is sometimes used.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #3

Liked 708 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I have to say this for you or anyone that may read it:

PLEASE, for the love of God, do not decommission/de-mil anything.

If its legal, there is absolutely no reason to do so.

Edit: I didn't think about the firearm possibly being a pre-registered class 3. Thanks for the clarification C3

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by sputnik1988; 01-27-2013 at 10:58 PM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

They're already decommissioned.... Was wondering about getting em back in working order.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

And prolly should have gotten a little more information before I posted this. I'll poke around at em later and see what's what. Might upload some pics.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharder0002 View Post
They're already decommissioned.... Was wondering about getting em back in working order.
Extremely difficult. When an item is demilled it is usually done in a way that makes it basically permanently destroyed. If I have to decomission a firearm it is not going to be worthwhile for anyone to attempt to undo my work. Multiple cuts with a cutting torch is easy and effective.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Alright so if I look around and see welding torch marks its a no go. Most of the ones I own are bolt action anyways. Not entirely sure anything besides the full autos were decommissioned. Knowing my grandfather they were more than likely fully functional till the day he died. Any place that specializes in selling antique gun parts?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

OK- listen up, pay attention. There has been some bad information posted here, and this is a very serious matter. Are you taking notes?

In the case of a fully automatic firearm- that is located in the US- to be legal to possess the gun OR the receiver of the gun, it must have been registered with the BATFE prior to May 1986.

If someone else registered it, you now possess it, and you have not transferred it to your name, you have a problem.

WAY back when, there were DEWATS- deactivated War Trophies- and paperwork for them. That is now worthless. DEWATS is no longer recognized.

There are two ways of legally demilling a machine gun. 1. Total melting 2. Flame cutting (torch) the receiver into 3 or more pieces. At one time they were being cut with a saw- too many people rewelding.

If the guns WERE registered with the BATFE, the paperwork may be something like THIS:
atf-form-1.jpg
and will have a stamp like a postage stamp on it- for $200.

Guns that WERE registered can be transferred when inherited- no $200 tax, you must be in a state where it is legal to own.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Alright hold up a second It's not operational , non of these are. It's a collector piece he had mounted on a wall, bought from a gun store years and years and years ago. Nothing I'm talking about has any internal components. What I was getting at was a hypothetical of if it is even worth looking at to restore any of them.

I have no intention of trying to possess a fully auto weapon without government approval, im aware of the process and forms on how to do it. My question was concerning the bolt action antiques mainly. I was just curious about process of how it was they decommission something.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Look alot like this If I remember correctly.

image-2231546557.jpg