jb weld and heat
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > jb weld and heat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default jb weld and heat

I would like to install sights on my NEF Pardner shotgun with a fixed mod choke.
I would like to use JB weld for the job.
The spects on JB weld state that it is good up to 650 degrees F.
I might want to remove the sights== damaged sometime in the future

Question : would heating the barrel to ~700 degrees damage the metal??

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2986 Times on 1720 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Yes, and possibly the silver solder holding the barrels together. Temps that hot could affect the temper of the barrels.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you want to install sights on your shotgun, I'd strongly suggest having a gunsmith to solder them on. If you're dead set on doing it yourself, solder them on or drill & tap for them. It being a NEF Pardner indicates a single barrel or pump. There's NO WAY I'd get a shotgun barrel up to 700 degrees and not expect bad results.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 02-17-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #4

If you had to remove sights put in place with JB Weld...a little kiss from a propane touch and they will come right off----no need to heat up the barrel.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
Question : would heating the barrel to ~700 degrees damage the metal??
yes it will. it can do bad things and lead to a kaboom. do what bear said.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys.
I think I will Jb them on and use a micro torch to remove them if the need comes.

By the way I used "airplane model" general purpose glue to stick on the sights to see if they would be acceptable. Much to my great surprise they held through 5 reduced recoil 12 gauge shots and I actually got a zero.. Granted the sights have a large surface area but who would have believed it. I figured I would get only one shot. The Pardner weighs less than 5 pounds and recoil is significant

Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #7

I must say that I am surprised by your final decision. You get four responses to your question and you pick the one that most matches what you were originally thinking. Which is what all the other responses said was a bad idea. Why even ask a question if you're just going to do whatever you want anyway? Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some of my reasoning:
1. one of the sights is plastic and cannot take installation heat BUT if damaged, removal with gentle heat is not a problem.
2. The Pardner I have is a single barrel with no vent rib or solder ribs etc.
3. there is not enough metal thickness to drill/tap or dovetail for sights for the rear sight or scope.
4.There is not a perfect sight to barrel match and the JB weld would help with fitting
5. replies on another forum stated that JB weld can be removed with "slight" heating with a propane torch. This would not require barrel heating to a high degree. Also silver solder melts at a higher temp than JB weld can take.
6.The Pardner is a $100 firearm so any costly modifications with a gunsmith is not worth the expense.. This firearm is a tractor firearm
Finally I thought I would pass on some of my of my findings.
I THANK ALL THAT TOOK THE TIME AND EFFORT TO HELP MY DECISION. And after all It is my decision.

Salute

Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #9

Makes sense, was just curious because you got so many bad responses to the idea. Also, I believe if some of that information was present in the original post you would have received a few different answers. Good luck again though and I really do hope it all works out.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If one asks a vague question- he probably get a vague answer..
I will take the time to be better focused on questions in the future.
Thanks

Salute