Iver Johnson "bolt"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Iver Johnson "bolt"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Iver Johnson "bolt"

Posted this under revolvers, but it looks like I was in the wrong place. Maybe this forum would be better.

I've got an old Iver Johnson Cattleman here. It looks, by the parts pic very similar to the Colt army revolver.

Short story, I've just started doing some light gunsmithing. Someone I know has the revolver above, and when purchased the trigger was WAY too light.......I'm talking beyond hair trigger. Years later, the gun finally has problems. It was like the hammer would stick down. Once freed, everything seemed to work fine, but it happened every shot. Friend took to a gunsmith who replaced at least the hammer, and maybe the trigger with parts from a Uberty. Gun doesn't work right.

Next gunsmith says "no, wrong parts" and replaces at least the trigger.

Here's where I get it. Half way back on the trigger, it hangs. The bolt isn't dropping out fast enough. At safety cock, the cylinder won't turn to load. The cyl has ever so little play at full cock, and at lockup it's solid, so the had timing is correct, but the bolt doesn't clear the cylinder locks before the hand starts to rotate the cyl, which causes the hang.

I can't get a new bolt, but I can get a new trigger and hammer. I just don't know if the bolt was replaced in one of those fix attempts, or modified along the way.

So, can the bolt be sped up? I don't have a really good drawing of the engagement, so I'm not sure how it's moved to be honest. All I know is that the gunsmiths arround here apparently aren't as detailed as I seem to be, so i trust myself on a first look more than I do them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Does it use that bolt with the long springy tail that works off the lump on the hammer? If so it might be easier to move the hammer lump.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Does it use that bolt with the long springy tail that works off the lump on the hammer? If so it might be easier to move the hammer lump.
Right at this point, this is only an inquery. I've not got things apart yet. Like I said, I'm a newb at this, and if it's going to call for making new parts, someone else is going to have to takle the job. I can wire weld, but from my metal working knowledge, tig would be best.

If it's like you say, I'm seriously wondering if we still have some wrong parts. Even undoing a poor trigger job shouldn't cause the bolt to stop working all of a sudden. Think I may have to take things apart just to see what's what. I just hope the first joker that had the Uberty idea didn't change the bolt with the rest of the parts.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

If they changed the hammer, that is likely the problem. At this point who knows what all was done to that gun.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
If they changed the hammer, that is likely the problem. At this point who knows what all was done to that gun.
That's just the problem. Think it's time to take it apart and see what we have.