You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Ithaca / SKB model 500 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 04:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Ithaca / SKB model 500 problems

I posted this over on the General shotgun area. Long story short my wife's cousin inherited this gun after his dad passed away a couple of years ago. The gun had not been shot for 20 to 25 years. He thoroughly cleaned gun and brought it to a family get together where we did a little trap shooting. The gun worked fine for a little while then would break open. I finally figured out it only broke open when the top barrel is fired. The action locks tight with no movement. I can see some wear on the locking bar and lugs on the barrel. But since it locks up tight I'm a little confused as to what's causing this. From a quick glance at breakdown of the gun there is a pin type device that activates the locking mechanism when closing the action. I'm wondering if the spring is weak or if this has anything to do with the problem. I got a couple of responses from the general shotgun section but I'm looking for more help. I need to measure the locking bar and lugs and compare to the original specification to see how much wear I have. Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for you help.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here