I'm gonna cut it..! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

I'm gonna cut it..!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3569 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

Angry,

First of all I certainly hope it was not a chrome lined barrel!!
Secondly the rule of thumb concerning the gas port size is the longer the barrel the larger the gas port size. You should be fine as far as operation. The logic in this is that you did not actually shorten the distance between the chamber and the gas port. Even though the gas port is closer to the muzzle that should not change it that much. You will just have to shoot it to find out if the reduction of bore after the gas port caused any problems with reliability function. All rifles are like individuals and have their own personalities. Also the rounds you are shooting through it could also determin the difference between a problem and no problem at all. Military Ammunition is Hotter than most Commercial! "Higher Pressures" Moral of the story if it ain't broke don't fix it. Let me know what you find out!

Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Torch is quicker- Boolits should knock out the burrs
I saw that RRA actually cryogenically treats the barrels so I didn't want to change the physics of the barrel metallurgy...

Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #13

Thanks Sniper... I was just about to start drilling too.. I'll shoot it first..! Oh, no the barrel wasn't chrome lined, I checked that out already too, thanks for the warning though..! Damn, the Fiance just got home... Good thing I wasn't drilling yet..! I'll Take it out this Saturday guys, I'll post the results up here... Thanks again guys..!
3.jpg  

Last edited by ANGRYcanary; 12-07-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Looks like you did a pretty good job on the muzzle, but I would make one suggestion. Use a piloted reamer to clean up the crown right at the edge of the bore. That will make it so the gas escapes behind the bullet uniformly. If it escapes a little on one spot before another, the gas can kick the bullet off it's axis and ruin your accuracy. Brownells.com should have one you can do by hand, or if you have access to a lathe that would be better as you can use a live center on the tail stock to align the bore to the piloted reamer. I usually try to make as small a cut as I can, about 1/16 of an inch . Just make sure there are no chatter marks (chatter is vibration in the cutting tool leaving a rough bumpy finish). It is also an inexpensive thing for a gunsmith to do if you don't expect to need the reamer again, as they can be pretty expensive for good ones. Also a little cold blue (i.e. oxpho blue) will get rid of the shiny muzzle for you.

Oxpho-Blue OXPHO-BLUEŽ - Brownells
crown tool Brownells Search : Gunsmith Tools & Supplies : Barrel Blanks & Tools : Barrel Chamfering Tool Kits - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

Old 12-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #15

Thanx Wilder..! I Appreciate it.