identifying Damascus steel and twisted steel

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > identifying Damascus steel and twisted steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'v looked around the forum a bit and done a few searches. But I haven't found any threads on how to positively identify Damascus steel or twist steel. Any of the pro smiths here have a tried and true way to do this?
I have a few ideas but I would rather try a proven method or two.
The reason I ask is when my father passed earlier this year he left me my great grandfather's old side by side that I plan on restoring. He told me a few times it had Damascus steel barrels and never to put a modern shell in it. It's in pretty horrible shape atm but it's also sitting in another state so it'll be awhile before I get to it. I'm really hoping it's twist steel because when done right a new blue job on them are beautiful.
But I'd like to make sure that's what it is before I start the process to bring out the pattern.
Any suggestions out there?

Last edited by sgthooah04; 11-22-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Often times you can tell by looking at it.
The best method I know of is research, it is often well documented if the gun is kaboom barreled.
My suggestion, never shoot one.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Damascus steel was a sign of quality in the 19th century. After the advent of fluid steel barrels this idea continued. Many modern fluid steel barrels were acid etched to look like Damascus steel.
By removing the forearm you can often tell as they did not always etch the area under the wood. You may also use steel wool on a small spot under the forearm to see if it is real or faux Damascus steel.

Damascus steel was formed by rapping steel strips around a mandrel and forging together. I expect that is why you are confused about "twisted" and Damascus. They are the same process.

Last edited by nitestalker; 11-22-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nightstalker. I appreciate the info but you are a little bit in error or at least there is a slight misunderstanding. I'm not trying to be rude or anything. Just an FYI i myself might be in error. But "twisted steel" is where two bars if steel of two different carbon contents were twisted on a mandrel and hammered into a tube. Damascus steal is pretty similar however it is where multiple layers of differing carbon content steel are forged into a billet then from the forged billet a product is made/forged. Though to be fair both could be referred to as Damascus steel. The twist steel when blued and acid etched will have a "tiger strip" pattern with light and dark strips. Damascus steel would have no real pattern to the different colors of steel. It would just be random spots of light and dark.
Now that I have written all this out it occurs to me that this could just be a difference in termenology.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

But basically just have to clean a spot on the barrel and see if there's a pattern to the steel.
It's just going to be a wall hanger when its been refurbished btw. it's black powder shells from my understanding.