Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > I got a question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default I got a question?

I changed out the barrel on my savage rifle from a 270 to 308. I noticed that the primers were pushed in and the accuracy is off every 3 rounds i shoot one is about 2-3 inches to the right. Could this be because i need to move the head spacing or something else. I had been shooting some 308 win and noticed that the bolt closes hard. I shoot 762 x 51 and have no problem it closes nice and easy. I did a full resize on all the brass but i can't figure it out i had been shooting 308 win cases and they worked fine only that 3rd round flyer. Please help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It could be 1 of a few things. Is the shots (fliers) spaced vertically or horizontally? It could be you're letting the barrel warm up too much by firing too quick. Or it could be the bedding. Do you have the barrel free floated or does it have some upward pressure at the forend tip? Some barrels shoot better one way or the other. Also perhaps you need to fine tune your load? Are you trimming your brass properly? Neck turning it for uniform neck/bullet tension?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Yes im going by the book on the resizing and i shoot three rounds under a min, why do you think the primers get pushed out? AND THE FLIER IS ALAWAYS about 1 inch right and 1 inch up

Old 10-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #4

The primers could get pushed out due to a slight headspacing issue or the loads being slightly hot. If your loads ain't hot, check the headspace. Experiment with barrel bedding pressure on the issue of the flyer. Also try spacing your shots out to perhaps even 1 shot every 3-5 minutes and see what that does.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

thanks for the help stocking bear, i will try that thats a cool avatar great pic

Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #6

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I had the same problem with a new Stevens .308. Just the flyer part. Not only the 3rd shot but all subsequent shots. The gun has the sporting barrel and does heat up fast. The first 2 shots are one hole and after that they string. After running a couple hundred rounds it has improved quite a bit but if I slow way down it groups sub MOA. It is a great hunting rifle, 1 shot 1 kill. All shots in a 10 shot group would be a kill shot but I don't intend to shoot more than 1 at a time hunting. The gun does exactly what it is intended to do.

As for the primers pushing out, are you sure you are using proper (berdan, boxer) primer for the casings you reload?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 10-19-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

figured it out my resizing die was set right and i tried the tech of shooting one every 2 mins and had no flyers
will post pic later

Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #8

Glad you figured it out! I knew it had to be something simple.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAKINANAYA View Post
figured it out my resizing die was set right and i tried the tech of shooting one every 2 mins and had no flyers
will post pic later
I was gonna say...if the defect is consistent...it is due to barrel heat. The barrel is warping to the same spot after the given number of rounds.