Howa barrel removal
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Howa barrel removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Howa barrel removal

I wonder if anyone has any experience rebarreling a Howa varmint rifle. I just asked my smith and he relayed he cannot break the barrels free from the receivers. He thinks it may be glued or somehow pressure fit into the receiver.

After 400 ft lbs he's worried the receiver may twist? This seems weird? Any advice wouldnbe appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Has he tried Kroil and/or temperature (cold/hot)? Is he using a proper fitting action wrench? The action can't twist as long as he's using the exact action wrench or insert for that receiver.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

It can be removed for one reason is that you can buy replacement barrels for them, but how I don't know yet but will find out when I need to replace mine.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #4

Default barrel removal

If it were in my shop, and I had this problem, I would check with Howa and see if they are glued or pinned(not generally done ,buutt>>)
if all were no I'd put a tad of heat on it (3-400 degrees) but that would be a last resort. I have a 4 foot section of pipe to cheat my receiver wrench, and a barrel vise(not vice) that will work on a howtzer, and I would think your "smith" would have one too

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have heard from a few smiths that the Howa barrels are installed with very high torque and that breaking them loose is a pain. However most have said that with proper action wrench and barrel vise and sufficent leverage they will break loose. Another smith has made a relief cut at the joint between barrel and action face to assist in removal. If I were not going to reuse the take-off barrel, and you had faith in the smith not to damage the action face, I would go with the relief cut. Good Luck.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #6

Default barrel change

Hi , very tight barrels were common in some military rifles and making a relief cut just in front of the receiver was the usual practice when making a change ..
about 1/16 th in front of the shoulder should do the job and there is no risk of cutting into the front of the receiver ring ... Just did a mauser this morning .. Rob