How to stop pitting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > How to stop pitting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How to stop pitting

My shotgun has tiny pits-what causes this and how can I stop them from taking over. I just recieved it 1 1/2 years ago and it wasn't taken care of properly. Does this take down the value much?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Pitting on ANY gun reduces it's value - why? Because it is an indication that the gun was not properly cared for! I have owned guns for 35 years and NONE of them have ANY rust or pitting. Keep them cleaned and oiled. If you don't shoot them, oil them at least once a year anyway. Preventing rust and pitting is not hard, it requires less than 10 minutes a year once a gun has been cleaned and oiled after use.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-13-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #3

It wasn't taken care of by the previous owner (my great aunt)-I, on the other hand have been taking care of it.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #4

You can stop it from getting worse but the damage has been done. Keep it clean and well oiled or grease if it is going to be stored for a long time.

Southern California
Anything legal , rifles , handguns , shotguns , black powder

Old 07-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

If you have a safe and live in a humid area get a goldenrod they are the best thing Ever for a gunsafe.

I use a brown army teeshirt that I have oiled up with Rem oil and placed in a plastic baggie or a silicone impregnated cloth and as I am putting guns back in the safe I wipe them down. I am lazy and this is about as much cleaning that many of my guns will ever see. My rimfires may get the bores cleaned once a year if they are lucky. My 223 gets cleaned the most because it sees rougher conditions than any of the others.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #6

When storing weapons, apply a thin layer of oil to deture rust, however remeaber to wipe it off before use. One of mine gets oil on the trigger mech, when its stored, that can be a problem, fixed by giving it a wipe. The later is a bit nebular, however though I would add it anyway.