Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > how to remove permatex rust treatment?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default how to remove permatex rust treatment?????

i recently used this on a nef r92, i can still see rust underneath the coating. i am worried it didn't stop the rust, i am thinking of a complete tear down and reblue. how would i remove the rust treatment. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That stuff is more or less permanent. It's pretty much the same as Loctite Extend I believe, which is super tough once it's dry. According to Loctite/Permatex, "Once dried, strong solvents such as paint remover will be required to remove Loctite® Extend® Rust Treatment from equipment and clothes. Mechanical abrasion may be necessary." They also say that "Continuous exposure ... to water, solvents or chemicals can cause whitening, blistering or flaking of the latex film." So there may be hope if you soak your R92 for a while.
Best of luck & sorry for the bad news...

Old 08-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
That stuff is more or less permanent. It's pretty much the same as Loctite Extend I believe, which is super tough once it's dry. According to Loctite/Permatex, "Once dried, strong solvents such as paint remover will be required to remove Loctite® Extend® Rust Treatment from equipment and clothes. Mechanical abrasion may be necessary." They also say that "Continuous exposure ... to water, solvents or chemicals can cause whitening, blistering or flaking of the latex film." So there may be hope if you soak your R92 for a while.
Best of luck & sorry for the bad news...
i just wished i knew if it stopped the rust, its still visable under the coating. but is it stopped or did i do something wrong? i thought the rust was supposed to change color but only the surrounding metal did. thanks

Old 08-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The rust should have turned black, at least if you brushed or sanded any loose stuff off. Did you apply a second coat yet? They advise 2 or more as I recall. I'm really surprised you can still see through it; it blackened up almost immediately the times I've used it.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I'd love pics. Never worked with the stuff.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #6

i removed the permatex with citristrip from wal mart, took it off in 30 minutes. i got some birchwood casey blueing kit, the gun blued good and even but the cylinder is uneven and got a brownish color to it here and there. i blued it last night and left a good coating of oil on it after i was through so i don't know what happened. i did the cylinder just like the gun, but the cylinder isn't taking as good. thanks

Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

forumrunner_20120810_154524.jpg  

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
i removed the permatex with citristrip
I'll have to write that one down for future reference. Glad you were able to remove it. Can't help much with the re-bluing although there are plenty of other threads here & in the "Engraving & Refinishing" forum with tips for that.

Please don't tease mountainman13! Post some pictures ASAP!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
I'll have to write that one down for future reference. Glad you were able to remove it. Can't help much with the re-bluing although there are plenty of other threads here & in the "Engraving & Refinishing" forum with tips for that.

Please don't tease mountainman13! Post some pictures ASAP!
hope to get a camera in a few days, that should give me time to figure out what i did wrong in trying to blue the gun. thanks