Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   how to remove permatex rust treatment????? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/how-remove-permatex-rust-treatment-71159/)

old fart 08-26-2012 01:21 PM

how to remove permatex rust treatment?????

i recently used this on a nef r92, i can still see rust underneath the coating. i am worried it didn't stop the rust, i am thinking of a complete tear down and reblue. how would i remove the rust treatment. thanks

roscoguy 08-27-2012 12:59 AM

That stuff is more or less permanent. It's pretty much the same as Loctite Extend I believe, which is super tough once it's dry. According to Loctite/Permatex, "Once dried, strong solvents such as paint remover will be required to remove LoctiteŽ ExtendŽ Rust Treatment from equipment and clothes. Mechanical abrasion may be necessary." They also say that "Continuous exposure ... to water, solvents or chemicals can cause whitening, blistering or flaking of the latex film." So there may be hope if you soak your R92 for a while.
Best of luck & sorry for the bad news...

old fart 08-27-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roscoguy (Post 917133)
That stuff is more or less permanent. It's pretty much the same as Loctite Extend I believe, which is super tough once it's dry. According to Loctite/Permatex, "Once dried, strong solvents such as paint remover will be required to remove LoctiteŽ ExtendŽ Rust Treatment from equipment and clothes. Mechanical abrasion may be necessary." They also say that "Continuous exposure ... to water, solvents or chemicals can cause whitening, blistering or flaking of the latex film." So there may be hope if you soak your R92 for a while.
Best of luck & sorry for the bad news...

i just wished i knew if it stopped the rust, its still visable under the coating. but is it stopped or did i do something wrong? i thought the rust was supposed to change color but only the surrounding metal did. thanks

roscoguy 08-28-2012 12:28 AM

The rust should have turned black, at least if you brushed or sanded any loose stuff off. Did you apply a second coat yet? They advise 2 or more as I recall. I'm really surprised you can still see through it; it blackened up almost immediately the times I've used it. :confused:

mountainman13 08-28-2012 01:14 AM

I'd love pics. Never worked with the stuff.

old fart 08-28-2012 01:21 PM

i removed the permatex with citristrip from wal mart, took it off in 30 minutes. i got some birchwood casey blueing kit, the gun blued good and even but the cylinder is uneven and got a brownish color to it here and there. i blued it last night and left a good coating of oil on it after i was through so i don't know what happened. i did the cylinder just like the gun, but the cylinder isn't taking as good. thanks

mountainman13 08-28-2012 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

roscoguy 08-30-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fart (Post 918631)
i removed the permatex with citristrip

I'll have to write that one down for future reference. Glad you were able to remove it. Can't help much with the re-bluing although there are plenty of other threads here & in the "Engraving & Refinishing" forum with tips for that.

Please don't tease mountainman13! :D Post some pictures ASAP!

old fart 08-30-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roscoguy (Post 920734)
I'll have to write that one down for future reference. Glad you were able to remove it. Can't help much with the re-bluing although there are plenty of other threads here & in the "Engraving & Refinishing" forum with tips for that.

Please don't tease mountainman13! :D Post some pictures ASAP!

hope to get a camera in a few days, that should give me time to figure out what i did wrong in trying to blue the gun. thanks