Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   how often do you..... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/how-often-do-you-5488/)

Braeden 07-09-2008 10:43 PM

how often do you.....

clean your gun?

i usually bring it home from a trip and clean it. Or if ive been at the range ill always bring it home and clean and oil it ASAP. When i clean i break the entire firearm down and clean. Is this overkill? Ive heard of people only fully cleaning their guns a few times a month or even year?

matt g 07-09-2008 10:50 PM

It depends on the weapon really. I'd be careful with super high end bedded actions and some gas guns benefit from a little bit of carbon, but other than that, I strip them down and scrub the crap out of them for an hour or so when I get home from the range.

Also, as an aspiring sniper, you should get used to shooting "cold, fouled".

Braeden 07-09-2008 10:57 PM

okay. just wanted to make sure that i wasnt the only one that got home and scrubbed the hell outta em before anything. :P

Dillinger 07-09-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braeden (Post 31123)
okay. just wanted to make sure that i wasnt the only one that got home and scrubbed the hell outta em before anything. :P

You aren't the only one, but I wish more were like you.

Every year, about a month to two weeks before hunting season, we see an influx of rifles, some needing new scopes put on, some needing a "trigger job" - which usually leads to a story about a "missed" shot, some wanting bedding, a muzzle break or a once over before going out to the range to site in. On more occassions than I care to admit, after over 5 years, I have seen perfectly good hunting rifles, fired only a few times, with barrels having a years worth of copper fouling and corrosion brought to light with the help of the mighty bore scope.

Funny though - the ex-military guys, almost 10 for 10, have weapons that are in perfect condition. How come you think that is? :p

JD

Braeden 07-10-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 31137)
Funny though - the ex-military guys, almost 10 for 10, have weapons that are in perfect condition. How come you think that is? :p

where do you think i learned it from? ;)

RL357Mag 07-10-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braeden (Post 31112)
clean your gun?

i usually bring it home from a trip and clean it. Or if ive been at the range ill always bring it home and clean and oil it ASAP. When i clean i break the entire firearm down and clean. Is this overkill? Ive heard of people only fully cleaning their guns a few times a month or even year?

No such thing as "over-kill" when taking care of your equipment!
After a couple of hours enjoying my $1000 investment, a half hour cleaning it is not asking too much IMO.

robocop10mm 07-10-2008 01:06 PM

Our snipers clean after every session (once a week) and fire one fouling shot through a clean bore to prep it for the shot that counts (and hopefully never comes). For extreme accuracy, many consider a perfectly clean barrel to be a bad thing.

fapprez 07-10-2008 05:32 PM

I clean my weapons after every trip to the range or when I am bored. I only completely tear 'em apart once a year.

matt g 07-10-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 31255)
Our snipers clean after every session (once a week) and fire one fouling shot through a clean bore to prep it for the shot that counts (and hopefully never comes). For extreme accuracy, many consider a perfectly clean barrel to be a bad thing.

Hence my "cold fouled" comment.

robocop10mm 07-10-2008 06:33 PM

Exactly. I did not think everyone caught that.