How to install Trijicon sights-1911 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > How to install Trijicon sights-1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
If you pull the slide apart you should be able to tell if the front sight is protruding through the bottom (inside) of the slide. If it isn't sticking out you can put the slide down sight down on top of a piece of wood and tap on the bottum of the slide with a rubber mallet and seat the front sight better. If it does protrude through the bottom it will require fitting. It's probably best to bring it to another smith.
You can use calipers to see if the rear sight is off.
Ok thank you for the advice, I will try this and let you know the results.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #12

Liked 2451 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 559

That style of front sight has to be staked in place using a tool to flatten out the stalk on teh bottom fo the sight. It is then made flush with the inside of the slide with a small burr from a dremmel or a round file. If spending the money on a Cerekote job and sight install, it is usually worth having the slide dove tailed for that style of front sight. It usually makes for a cleaner and more repeatable install in the future when the tritium burns out. Dove tailing it now that it refinished is probably not an attractive option. Most of those staked front sights are kind of a one shot deal to get installed right becaues the extra metal gets removed.

There may be enough surplus metal ther to still get it seated deeper and flatten and reshape the stalk of the sight and not have it go flying off when you shoot.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I think I'm just going to suck it up and get the slide dove tailed, and refinished and put a set of Novaks on it. Sucks it refinish it again but I believe in doing something the right way, and I think that's to have it dovetailed. Thank you all for the advice

Old 12-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #14

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztkolb View Post
I think I'm just going to suck it up and get the slide dove tailed, and refinished and put a set of Novaks on it. Sucks it refinish it again but I believe in doing something the right way, and I think that's to have it dovetailed. Thank you all for the advice
I think since it was your 1st trip to him I'd take it back & explain in a nice way several have said they wern't "just right" & cud he please fix them- That won't cost a dime