Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   How to install Trijicon sights-1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/how-install-trijicon-sights-1911-a-79298/)

ztkolb 12-24-2012 04:30 PM

How to install Trijicon sights-1911
 
3 Attachment(s)
Took my Milspec 1911 to my local gunsmith to have it Cerakoted, which he did a terrific job. But he mentioned to me he had trouble getting the sights back on. When I got home I really started examining them it appears they are not on correctly at all. This is my first 1911 so I have no idea how to install or even take the sights off. I would like to do this myself since he has clearly demonstrated that he cannot. Any insight is appreciated.

Attachment 76117

trip286 12-24-2012 04:44 PM

Um, yeah, that's nothing like right. I can't help you, but I hope someone stops in who can. That's disgraceful.

kytowboater 12-24-2012 04:58 PM

Dang man that's horrible. Is he a busy gunsmith? I can't imagine working on someone's gun, then returning it in that shape........

I bet in that industry your work is your reputation. His must suck.

I hope you can get that fixed soon...

ztkolb 12-24-2012 05:07 PM

I'm not sure if he's busy, this was the first time I've felt with him. But yea I was none too happy when I noticed how jacked the sights were

kytowboater 12-24-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztkolb
I'm not sure if he's busy, this was the first time I've felt with him. But yea I was none too happy when I noticed how jacked the sights were

I would take it back and demand he fix it or some money back.

ztkolb 12-24-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater

I would take it back and demand he fix it or some money back.

I had thought about taking it back and demanding he fix it, but I wouldn't want him to mess anything up further

JonM 12-24-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztkolb (Post 1064414)
I had thought about taking it back and demanding he fix it, but I wouldn't want him to mess anything up further

this

find a different one call it lesson learned or demand a refund. thats horrid but DO NOT let that idiot touch your gun again!!

mountainman13 12-24-2012 09:02 PM

I can't tell from the pic if there is anything wrong with the rear sight. The front sight is clearly not seated all the way and may require more fitting. Is it staked on the bottom or just pounded in?
Did he break the tritium vials?
If you shoot the gun as is the front sight will likely come off.

ztkolb 12-24-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
I can't tell from the pic if there is anything wrong with the rear sight. The front sight is clearly not seated all the way and may require more fitting. Is it staked on the bottom or just pounded in?
Did he break the tritium vials?
If you shoot the gun as is the front sight will likely come off.

The rear sight looks like its not pushed over enough, I know it's hard to tell from the pic but the center of the rear sight is not lined up with the notch in the slide. Not sure if the front sight is staked or pounded in, the sights were already installed on the firearm when I purchased it. He didn't break the vials on the sights.

mountainman13 12-24-2012 10:00 PM

If you pull the slide apart you should be able to tell if the front sight is protruding through the bottom (inside) of the slide. If it isn't sticking out you can put the slide down sight down on top of a piece of wood and tap on the bottum of the slide with a rubber mallet and seat the front sight better. If it does protrude through the bottom it will require fitting. It's probably best to bring it to another smith.
You can use calipers to see if the rear sight is off.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.