Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   How to glass bed a rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/how-glass-bed-rifle-40580/)

stalkingbear 03-31-2011 11:55 AM

How to glass bed a rifle

2 Attachment(s)
I was asked to do this so here goes. 1st you start off with a factory rifle and the components you need to glass bed it.

spittinfire 03-31-2011 12:01 PM

Oh boy!! The fun has started!

stalkingbear 03-31-2011 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The things you'll need to glassbed (or steel bed) are-
electrical tape
modeling clay
release agent (I prefer acra release spray)
measuring spoon
dremel with small wood rasp bit
Acraglas Gel or better yet Steelbed
Popsicle sticks

stalkingbear 03-31-2011 12:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now we can get to prepping it to bed. Use the electrical tape on the outside of the stock. This will prevent the bedding compound from sticking to the finish and ruining the finish on it.

Now is the time to use the wood bit in the dremel to relieve the wood and to make for a rough texture for the bedding compound to adhere to. In order to retain stock bedded height I'll leave "islands" of wood untouched around the action screwholes.

This is also the time to build dams from the modeling clay to prevent the bedding compound from entering anywhere you don't want it to go. Good examples are around the trigger group, inside the magwell, and in front of the action.

stalkingbear 03-31-2011 12:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After prepping the stock and applying LOTS of release agent we can start mixing the bedding compound. Did I mention to use release agent?:D I used Acraglas Gel in this rifle. be SURE to mix it EXACTLY according to instructions (in this case it's 1-1 resin/hardener). Use the popsicle sticks to carefully apply the bedding.

stalkingbear 03-31-2011 12:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It'll look messy and it WILL squeeze out-that's the reason for the electrical tape & the modeling clay dams. Since I wanted good contrast for pic friendly and it's not going to show I didn't use color. After a couple hours you'll be able to gently remove the excess bedding by removing the tape and ever so gently with a hobby knife or fresh popsicle stick. Let it cure for several hours and it'll be ready to remove the barreled action from the stock.

stalkingbear 03-31-2011 12:47 PM

Now I relieve the front/sides/& bottom of bedding from around the recoil lug so I'll have even more clearance than the electrical tape gave me. We're going to remove the clay dams and clean it from around the trigger group now. You should have a good fitting bedded rifle now. If I missed anything or there are any questions please feel free to chime in. I'm sure I must have missed something since I'm writing this before my 1st coffee of the day.:rolleyes:

stalkingbear 04-01-2011 04:04 PM

I guess nobody liked my posts.:(

TheSadPanda 04-01-2011 04:17 PM

That's some pretty awesome stuff. I honestly had no idea how that process worked at all. Thanks for making me a little smarter today :)

rjgnwdc 04-01-2011 04:25 PM

Thank you Stalkingbear for your time and effort and the great illustrated instructions this will make for great reference for anybody wanting to glass bed their rifle:confused: