Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > How to get the stubborn pin out of rod on SKS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default How to get the stubborn pin out of rod on SKS?

OK, i will try to add some pics tonight, but i am still having heck adding TechSites peep sites to my SKS. The difficult part is getting a pressed-in pin out of the rod that secures the receiver cover. I have tapped and tapped and cursed and tapped with taps and similar objects while the lil rod is supported on a flattish little box end wrench to give the pin room to move out.

I don't want to just dremel-cut the pin off; i may switch back later.

So, do i drill out the pin now or what? Is there some tool that i am not aware of?

edit* part 19 is the handle attached to the rod with the stubborn pin. http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/sks-piece-diagram

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=180842 This one doesn't show the annoying pin.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 12-01-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your SKS is like my 2 you can't tap it out. The little pin is in a blind hole in the take down lever rod. The hole does not go all the way through.

Almost every post I've read about people putting Tech Sights on mentioned cutting the take down lever. Evidently there are some makes of SKS that the hole goes all the way through and the pin can be driven out.

Numrich has them in their catalog (with the pin), sold out as I write this...

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Bruce, Life Member: NRA, NCRPA

Naval Air Museum Barbers Point

Old 12-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #3

Liked 189 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Cut it off or grind it off, or you might be able to pull it out with a small pair of vice grips. That retaining pin is most likely pressed into a blind hole (doesn't go all the way through).

Once it's out of the gun, THEN you can drill it out and replace it with another pin if you like.

ETA: Had to change avatars to acknowledge another magical post.

Last edited by Highpower; 12-02-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Fool me once....