Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > How to fix a rusty gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default How to fix a rusty gun

I have a black powder revolver that has quite a bit of rust on it. That I can tell, it's only surface rust, but I can't get it off. Any ideas? I tried Hoppe's #9 and Hoppe's Elite, and rubbing it down with steel wool, but it hasn't worked. I completely disassembled it and it's actually been soaking in Hoppe's Elite for the last three weeks, while I figure out what to do with it. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #2

Liked 4555 Times on 2203 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Which part is rusty?

Many old revolvers had a finish know as "case color hardening" usually on the frame. I'm not a finishing expert but I believe this process allows rust to begin forming then a cure is applied that stops the oxidation and seals the metal preventing further corrosion.

Rule number 1 NEVER USE STEEL WOOL ON A GUN!

You've probably removed any original finish left on the gun and destroyed any collector value it may have had.

Being an Infantry Vet I've had to clean the rust off of many weapons. They key is to let the area soak in any good solvent then work the area with a nylon bristled brush. These can be found in any commercial gun cleaning kit.

You should post some pictures of all the parts and zoom in on any markings. I'm sure someone here can give you a good idea of what you've got and potential value...assuming you've not relegated it to shooter status with your steel wool.

Tack

Old 02-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8413 Times on 3646 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Powder solvent does not dissolve rust. Use a good penetrating oil (I like a product called KROIL) Coat it and let sit for a day. For SERIOUS rust, take a COPPER Chore-Boy pot scrubber (be sure it is not copper washed steel, but copper) wet scrubber with oil, rub gently. For light rust, instead of Chore-Boy, use coarse cloth wet with oil, rub until arms falls off, change hands.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #4

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12616/GunTechdetail/Gun-Cleaning-Clinic-Knowing-the-Limits-of-Rust-Preventatives to go along with C3's post, maybe this will help.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #5

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Depends on how much rust. For light rust then what you did or what c3 suggests should remove the rust. For heavy rust you have to get aggressive to remove it. Emery cloth or a file. If its heavy rust there is no finish left and there will be pitting. So emery cloth or a file.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 578

Default Remove Rust

I have soaked rusty steel in a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and motor oil.

I have also used Muriatic acid to eat rust away, then rinse with water and soak in oil. I have done this with rusty tools but it may be too much for a firearm.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
awesome, silverado113...

Old 02-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #8

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the help. Luckily it's not an original, just a reproduction. It has a standard blue finish, and I'm worried about going too far and damaging the finish. I'll see if I can get some good photos up today or tomorrow.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If its farly heavy rust , soke in Coke the beverage it will take the rust off anything. Break fluid but the bluing will be gone as well.

F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

Rule number 1 NEVER USE STEEL WOOL ON A GUN!

You've probably removed any original finish left on the gun and destroyed any collector value it may have had.
Nonsense. I've removed enough rust to build a Fiat with 0000 steel wool and light oil without once damaging any bluing.

Sure, you can scratch the finish if you use a coarse enough grade of steel wool, but the same holds true of 100 grit sandpaper or a stiff wire wheel.