How do I clear jammed live-ammunition? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > How do I clear jammed live-ammunition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #41
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2121 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Over the years, I have had a few primer problems with factory ammo. I have a Winchester White Box 223 on my bench with a dead primer. I had a primer back out on a factory 44 mag and that will lock up a revolver pretty tight. Also had a hot loaded round that wrecked a pistol. The percentage is really pretty small.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyricd View Post
S&W wants me to take it to the local police station and have them clear the jam.
It's logical from their point of view, but I wouldn't do it. If nothing else, how many laws would you be breaking by taking it into a police station?

Did you check the laser screws to see if they backed out enough to lock the slide?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #43
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 398

I just enlarged the third photo and it does not look like the case is fully seated, or as some have mentioned it may be too long. Another consideration is the steel case has a small dent causing it to bind.
Either way point it in a safe direction grab it like a man and pull till it backs out, a little lube down the barrel might help. I would not bring it to the PD! Many officers are not gun people and you may open a can of worms going there!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Lyricd Likes This 
Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #44
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7329 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9017

I would not bring it to the PD, either. I would bring it to a gun smith.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #45

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
Perhaps this video by Clint Smith will answer some aspects of your problem:

http://www.youtube.com/Watch?v=BfyULpEhmug&feature=youtube
Yeah this video is great but the slide on this gun is just too small. I would imagine that if it is racked hard enough it will come out, but it's so small that it becomes dangerous to get a good enough grip.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #46

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
I just enlarged the third photo and it does not look like the case is fully seated, or as some have mentioned it may be too long. Another consideration is the steel case has a small dent causing it to bind.
Either way point it in a safe direction grab it like a man and pull till it backs out, a little lube down the barrel might help. I would not bring it to the PD! Many officers are not gun people and you may open a can of worms going there!
I do have a carry permit so transport would not be illegal. I would obviously ask for permission and they would tell me what to do while the gun is still in my trunk, but I think a gunsmith is probably the best plan.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #47

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
So load the barrel with lubricant and let it sit upright overnight. See if you can break it free in the morning...

Note: When you do clear it please take a pic of the jammed round next to an "never chambered" round and post it.

I'm betting the jammed round is seated much shallower than it should be.

Tack
Here is the round after removal next to an unfired Tula and an unfired Hornady. Seems like it is normal and it was removed by racking the slide with a large amount of force. I haven't tried loading another Tula for fear the same will happen. Any ideas on why this happened?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 AM   #48

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I would mic it to check its measurements against a round that chambers fine. You could also just chamber some rounds and see if they fit. I would do this with the barrel removed and just drop the round in. If it fits, it will go in just fine and come out just as easily. If it doesn't. Don't force it. Check it's oal, as well and several lateral positions to see if it has a minor bulge in it. If not, I would take the pistol to a smith and have him inspect the crap out of, just in case there is something going on inside the mouth of barrel. I wouldn't think there would be, but with something like this a better safe than sorry attitude can save your wife from opening your ketchup bottles the rest of your life.

And then not use that ammo ever again lol.

Glad you got it out safely with no other major problems.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #49

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyricd View Post
Here is the round after removal next to an unfired Tula and an unfired Hornady. Seems like it is normal and it was removed by racking the slide with a large amount of force. I haven't tried loading another Tula for fear the same will happen. Any ideas on why this happened?

If I remember correctly, the round that jammed was the first Tula you had tried to fire but your gun shot other ammo just fine. Correct?

If so, I would get a micrometer and check the outside dimension where the casing meets the bullet.

It's hard to tell with the naked eye, but I would assume the Tula is slightly larger around than your "other" functional ammo which prevented it from fully seating in the gun.

It's still really weird though. I've known Tula to have many issues in regards to reliability but being unable to simply chamber one is a first for me.

Tack

Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #50
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2121 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Was the Tula the lacquer coated or polymer coated? You may just have a tight chamber and it wont accept the coated steel rounds. From my limited experience with Tula, their quality sucks. I would not buy any more that is why my experience is limited.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.