Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > How do I clear jammed live-ammunition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

Good eyes & idea Tack.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5287 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 333

i wouldnt rubber mallet it. you can damage the gun that way if the case is over long.

steel cased ammo like tula can stick solid in non-chromed chambers.

what i would do is put the slide against the edge of something wood but not blocking the barrel or guide rod and give the grip a sharp knock forward trying to cycle the slide to the rear.

if you can get it rearwad use a wood stick to tap the round out if it wont come out. dont pry from the rim.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

dango Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Looking closer at the 3rd pic, it appears as though the round is fully chambered but the extractor claw is behind the cartridge rim... Rather than locked over it.

I'm not that familiar with the Bodyguard so I don't know if the extractors position may be mechanically locking the slide?

I would refer to the owners manual before going with the rubber mallet.

If you have a dental pic you may be able to slide it under the extractor and pop it out so it properly grasps the cartridge and allows the slide to seat.

Tack
The extractor claw is sitting in the grove at the base of the cartridge, where it should be, I think.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1722 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 545

From what I can see, the cartridge is not fully seated. Tula is very dirty and it is probably jammed up on crud in the chamber. Tapping it with a mallet could make the situation worse. I would leave the mag out and clamp the pistol with the barrel straight up. Pour a solvent down the barrel to break up the crud. The barrel is probably pretty well sealed at this point and when it starts draining off the round should release.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

dango Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

If you are asking us what to do, then you are playing with fire doing it on your own. Carefully put the gun in it's case and take it to a gunsmith. Do not mess around with live ammo. What a cluster .... though. Geez.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #16

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

That happened to my 1911 one time With tula i was able to pull the trigger and fire the round cycling it out. Hope it works out for you.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Last edited by gearhead396; 03-22-2013 at 03:07 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyricd View Post

I tried to fully-seat by hitting the back of the slide fairly forcefully. Cannot rack the slide. I will try a rubber mallet.

Is there a firing pin block on this gun that will prevent it from firing unless the round is fully-seated?
Even if there was a firing pin block you still need to point it in a safe direction. Safety is important.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #18

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

I think that should go with out saying that's one of 10 rules but I guess there's nothing wrong with reminding people SAFTEY FIRST:cool

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

dango Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #19

Liked 4550 Times on 2200 Posts
Likes Given: 1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyricd View Post
The extractor claw is sitting in the grove at the base of the cartridge, where it should be, I think.
If the claw is in the groove then and the magazine is out the remaining options are...

1. This round of Tula has an improper case length or the round is not seated deeply enough to allow the chamber to close.

2. Gunk is preventing the round from fully seating... but I though you said this was the last round of the 1st mag? Doubt 7 rounds... even 7 rounds of Tula would "dirty" it up that quickly.

3. The "last" round you fired before the malfunction was a "squib" round and it's lodged in the barrels entrance eliminating enough head space to prevent the 8th round from fully chambering.

Squibs occur when the powder charge is too light or is not there in a specific cartridge. The expanding gas from the detonation of the primer alone is often "enough" pressure to lodge the round in the barrel "and" cycle the weapon. In military jargon this in knows as a "pop no kick" due to the lack of muzzle report and lighter than normal recoil. Soldiers are trained to watch for it and it is the cause of MANY catastrophic failures. If this happened, you are very luck that the round did not lodge deep "enough" to allow the 8th round to fully seat because pulling the trigger again would have resulted in a Ka-Boom.

Test this with a wooden dowel. First lay it along side the barrel and mark the barrels length from the crown to the end of the chamber. Then insert it into the barrel "keeping hand clear of the muzzle".

If the rod does not insert fully to the chamber mark, you have a squib lodged in the barrel and "definitely" need a gun smith to go any further.

If there is no squib, lube the crap out of it, wedge the slide against a wooded table or work bench "keeping the muzzle and guide rod clear" and shove down hard.

Tack
Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2840 Times on 1645 Posts
Likes Given: 16918

The only time I've ever seen anything like that ,"The Ejector out of sync". is when manually loading one round directly into the chamber without feeding from mag...? Unless ejector is jammed it should release..?

As mentioned , possible "squib" , with a live round behind it ..? Gun smith..!