[How-To] Checking the firing pin protrusion on a Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > [How-To] Checking the firing pin protrusion on a Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1653 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
In my personal recommendation, head spacing is something that should be checked by a professional. I have seen to many "go" bolts that end up being a disaster. That is just MY opinion and certainly not the case for everyone. We just have a lot of kitchen gunsmiths.

You have seen multiple disasters related to bad Mosin-Nagant bolts/head-space?

I have never heard of any serious problem with a Mosin except for a cracked receiver on one gun that made the internet rounds about two years ago. Most of the rifles are arsenal refurbished and are in dang good shape, from a safety point of view.

Mismatched bolts, however could certainly have an issue, and it takes a set of good head-space gauges to determine if there is a problem; they are simple to use and do not require the services of a gunsmith.

If you only own one or two rifles and you are concerned for safety, certainly take them to a smith, and hope he has the proper gauges. I own nearly four cases of the rifles and I have head-space checked all of them. I am not going to take each one to smith. So far, I have not found an improperly head-spaced rifle, and I have shot all of them without issue.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #12

Liked 1653 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
In my personal recommendation, head spacing is something that should be checked by a professional. I have seen to many "go" bolts that end up being a disaster. That is just MY opinion and certainly not the case for everyone. We just have a lot of kitchen gunsmiths.

You have seen multiple disasters related to bad Mosin-Nagant bolts/head-space?

I have never heard of any serious problem with a Mosin except for a cracked receiver on one gun that made the internet rounds about two years ago. Most of the rifles are arsenal refurbished and are in dang good shape, from a safety point of view.

Mismatched bolts, however could certainly have an issue, and it takes a set of good head-space gauges to determine if there is a problem; they are simple to use and do not require the services of a gunsmith.

If you only own one or two rifles and you are concerned for safety, certainly take them to a smith, and hope he has the proper gauges. I own nearly four cases of the rifles and I have head-space checked all of them. I am not going to take each one to smith. So far, I have not found an improperly head-spaced rifle, and I have shot all of them without issue.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #13

Liked 367 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Let me re-phrase, for people that just bought their first rifle and think they can just order a kit and call a rifle safe to shoot is not a good thing, and that is my opinion and mine only. Someone, such as you, that knows the rifle inside and out and can probably use a gauge the proper and educated way is certainly good and can make the actual decision if the rifle is ok to fire or needs a smith to work on it. If one of my customers bought a surplus rifle, I would be more than glad to do a FREE check over it. I'm not saying the thing is a pipe bomb if it has some bad spots, but anything can happen and gas blowback can be serious depending on how bad the spacing is. Someone that is not wearing eye protection could experience serious repercussions.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 08-07-2014, 05:19 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2681 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

The track record of surplus Mosins (ex Soviet anyway) is good. Most people don't bother with the gauges. If those rifles had a habit of starting a new life in America with a kaboom, because of a firing pin protrusion or a loose headspace, it would have been all over the Internet. Not the case.

That said, we all know what we are supposed to do with any used, especially surplus firearm. Take it to a gunsmith. Everyone does so? Right. It's a personal choice based on personal judgement of the firearm and of your own abilities.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #15

Alright! Here is the video, sorry for the delay! I have also added it to the OP. Thanks for the opportunity.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #16

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Good video. The only thing i didn't see mentioned was that the firing pin has to be turned to one of two positions on re-assembly because of the flats on the firing pin and inside the hole of the bolt connector & guide bar, that are 180° apart. They are somewhat "keyed" together. You can't really "fine tune" the firing pin with a 30° turn for example. The bolt won't go back together without turning the firing pin back to align the guide bar with the lug on the bolt body. So you end up right back where you started. Adjustments are essentially 1/2 turn only. You just have to live with the firing pin protrusion within a half-turn one way or the other, unless you want to replace parts. Good enough for government work as they say.

Last edited by Highpower; 08-10-2014 at 09:39 PM. Reason: doubled word

Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Good video. The only thing i didn't see mentioned was that the firing pin has to be turned to one of two positions on re-assembly because of the flats on the firing pin and inside the hole of the bolt connector & guide bar, that are 180° apart. They are somewhat "keyed" together. You can't really "fine tune" the firing pin with a 30° turn for example. The bolt won't go back together without turning the firing pin back to align the guide bar with the lug on the bolt body. So you end up right back where you started. Adjustments are essentially 1/2 turn only. You just have to live with the firing pin protrusion within a half-turn one way or the other, unless you want to replace parts. Good enough for government work as they say.
Good points. As you said though and as I stated, it doesn't have to be dead on the money, just within the spacing.

Highpower Likes This