Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > How to check headstock for looseness?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default How to check headstock for looseness?

We have two lathes at work a newer South Bend has a six foot bed. We have another older South Bend with a four foot bed. I would like to be able to crown and chamber my own barrel. I would prefer to use the newer South Bend, but I work for the federal government. Most people wouldn't mind me working on a firearm, bit there's some that might. The older lathe is off site and the manager of that facility wouldn't mind me leaving a barrel in the lathe. I'm a rookie at this and have not been doing very precise work, but would like to. How can I check the headstock on the lathe to see if its precise enough for gun work?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 12 Posts

From what Ik about them from the schooling I have as long as you indicate the part in it should be accurate to whatever you indicated to....machinehead knows more as he is a very good machinist maybe try a pm to him is a regular to the diy forum.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #3

I have talked to machine head as he is a close friend and he said chuck up a piece of bar stock horizontaly and put indicator on headstock and pull back ind forth and look for movement on dial that will tell you slop

Old 12-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Did he say how much movement?

Bob

Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #5

Any movement shows wear how much is what you will find out. Just remember the farther out from the headstock you machine the more the movement will show. And the less rigid the part will be don't be afraid to pm machinehead he will be more than happy to help you loves to promote diy gun builders

Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unioncreek
Hi,

Thanks for the info. Did he say how much movement?

Bob
A good headstock bearing would have less than .002" runout. What type of barrel are you trying to re-crown. Tapered or straight.If straight I would chuck the barrel up with only a couple inches sticking out and indicate close to the chuck to within .001" and the same at the far end. If that tolerance can't be achieved then the lathe might not be worthy of gun smithing. The better the part can be indicated the better the product function. If it is a tapered barrel and you have to have more sticking out you will want to use a steady rest and indicate the far end of the barrel the same. 80% of the time using a lathe is setup the other 20% is actually running the part. Good luck

Old 12-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #7

Machinehead,

Thanks for the info. I have a Remington barrel that was rethreaded and short chambered for a Turkish Mauser. I'm almost finished with chamber, I'll finish that this weekend. I have a second Turk that I will be rebarreling to 7mm-08. Te newer South Bend we have has not been used very much soot should be within specs. The older lathe ill have to check.

Bobg

Old 12-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Machinehead,

Thanks for the info. I have a Remington barrel that was rethreaded and short chambered for a Turkish Mauser. I'm almost finished with chamber, I'll finish that this weekend. I have a second Turk that I will be rebarreling to 7mm-08. Te newer South Bend we have has not been used very much soot should be within specs. The older lathe ill have to check.

Bobg
Sounds like you should be okay. Just remember indication of the barrel is critical.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #9

I have one indicator right now, but think we have another at work. I knows I could get by with one, but two would make it easier. I've watched a few Youtube videos that have helped a lot, just need to get some hands on.

Bobg

Old 12-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
I have one indicator right now, but think we have another at work. I knows I could get by with one, but two would make it easier. I've watched a few Youtube videos that have helped a lot, just need to get some hands on.

Bobg
I have been a machinist for 5 years with a degree in machine tool technology and haven't even begun to scratch the surface but you have to start somewhere so get your hand dirty and don't let that hunk of metal (lathe)scare you off. Lol