Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Home made tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Home made tools

I know I am not the only one that likes to make tools, over the years I have come up with a few that have worked for me.
Nothing fancy just functional.
like the 12 gauge barrel dent removing tool made from about $10 worth of tubing, all thread and bicycle handlebar clamps.
Hockey puck bench blocks for driving out pins and 2 clamped in a vice holds barrels very nicely.
For checking chamber length in older double shotguns I use a old cut down shell with a wooden dowel glued in the front half, then slid through the primer hole. the dowel is marked at 2 3/4"

so what special tricks or tools have you made that you can share, I know I am not the only gun and tool nut out there.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've made my own brass, aluminum and steel hammers in different weights, like you noting fancy. but gives me lots to choose from and to place some next to lathes, mill, workbench, all made from scrap metal from the local scrapyard.

i also make rods and blocks from 6061 AL to use as barrel wrenches, mag well fillers and squib rods.

Dave
NRA instructor
Certified Glock and Sig Sauer LE armorer

Old 09-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

I don't really enjoy taking the time to make tools. Mainly because I don't charge for the time involved. But I have made a few along the way. I've made custom wrenches for nipple removal etc. for black powder work. A custom screwdriver for working on Winchester's lever guns. A few random tools for various shotguns. Most of the time I make due just to get the job done.
Making parts that you can't get otherwise on the other hand I enjoy. I do charge for this time and often it is a bit expensive. I've made firing pins, front sights, custom side saddles for shotguns etc. This is fun and profitable and leaves the customer with a one of a kind piece or a gun that would otherwise never function again.

I don't need No stinking signature.