Herter's .357 single action issues
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Herter's .357 single action issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Herter's .357 single action issues

Hello, all
I have ended up with a Herter's .357, manufactured by Sauer & Sohn in 1966. Been doing alot of research on the gun and it seems to be mostly an oversized '73 SAA.
Here's my problem: I know precisely squat about the SAA. My first single action revolver...I've had all kinds of pistols and rifles, and work on everything, but never messed with a single action. I noticed last night that when I cock the hammer all the way till it stops then let it go, she drops all the way to the firing position. Doesn't stop at the full cock notch, or the half cock. Now, if I cock it to full cock and slowly lower the hammer, like I normally do, is sets fine and dandy. Have notice that if I move the hammer to half cock and pull the trigger the hammer falls.
I don't know much about it, but I'm assuming that the sear and hammer probably both have some issues.
I've worked on my own stuff for years, built a couple of autoloaders, done a little trigger work, but I'm pretty new to revolvers, especially single actions. I believe I have found the parts, just wondering if anyone has any experience working on these-wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of before I dive into this project. Any experience anyone has out there would sure enough be appriciated...
Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Hammer has notches that the action parts fit into. Either the notches are damaged or dirty, or the action parts are. Would urge you NOT to attempt recutting notches- those need to be hardened, or will quickly fail. A good smith CAN do some work on these- question is- will the cost of his work be equal to the value of the gun?

Schematic for you- http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=2582

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

Oh, yeah, no way I'm recutting notches. No, I can do a little fitting if necessary, but I ain't recutting nothing. I intend to order parts from numrich. I haven't yet pulled the hammer out, but I'll be checking that out tonight. It really won't hurt my feelings to put some money in it-it's been shot alot, and I'm not really surprised it has developed a problem or two. Besides, I gotta fix it; it adds to my collection of "guns no one at the range have seen"!

Old 08-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #4

Thanks for the help...I've been sick the last several days, and didn't get a chance to take it down till a few hours ago. Looks like she's solid for the most part, but the full cock notch looks like it's been trimmed down. I'd say the previous owner tinkered with it to give it a really nice, light, short trigger pull. Personally, I'd rather not have to worry about sending a round out into the great unknown involuntarily.
Probably gonna replace the hammer and the possibly the trigger as well... Gonna mull it around a bit...may just buy a bunch of parts and have spares...

Old 08-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I have a Hawes Western Marshall. I believe yours and mine are the same (made by Sauer and Sohn with different importers. Keep us posted on your results and any other sources for parts. I'm looking for a bolt (cylinder stop). You will enjoy shooting it, I sure do.