Here's a good way to lose $175 and your pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Here's a good way to lose $175 and your pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Here's a good way to lose $175 and your pistol

So I have a taurus pt92 that is blued that I desided to remove the bluing and make it matte metal. So people online said its simple. Soak the parts in vinegar until its gone and re finish it. Little did I know the frame was anodized aluminum so my pistol looked like a damn rainbow and I was freaking out thinking it was coroding. So I dropped it off at a gunsmith to have them bead blast and to a duracoat on it. So no pistol for 3 weeks and $175 towards my 1911 is gone. Where did I go wrong? I know anodized aluminum needs to be chemically or blasted off.

~ You sit there with a mass murderer. A mass murderer, your heart rate is jacked. And your hand, steady. That's something I figured out about myself in prison. My hand never shakes.~
Springfield XD 45acp
Taurus PT-25

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Where did you go wrong?

1. Not knowing your gun first off.

2. Not researching what you wanted to do first.

3. Not knowing that Bluing will not stick to Alum or brass just ferrous metals.

4. Asking a bunch of wannabe gunsmiths on the internet.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #3

sorry this happened, chalk it up to a learning experience.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Sorry this happened to you, but Tango is right... know your gun and know what you're doing before you try ANY home gunsmithing.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

that $175 has bought you a great deal more.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like an expensive mistake. Where did you get the vinegar trick idea from?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #7

Well when the bluing on my barrel was getting worn I was curious if its possible and a lot of people say vinegar removes bluing and theirs how to guides. So the gunsmith says he's going to have to sandblast it and duracoat it which will take 2 to 3 weeks. So I guess we will see what happens. Ill just be glad to get it back to go to the range

~ You sit there with a mass murderer. A mass murderer, your heart rate is jacked. And your hand, steady. That's something I figured out about myself in prison. My hand never shakes.~
Springfield XD 45acp
Taurus PT-25

Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've always heard that about bluing but never tried it. Sounds like you bought you a pretty good lesson in that one should know what your weapon is made of and to do a lot of research before attempting something like this. That Duracoat is good stuff. I picked up a small compressor and air brush to do some home projects sitting around here.

Just remember..It really don't make you stupid unless you do it again

Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

NEVER take on any gunsmithing until you know everything possible about your materials, your process, troubleshooting, and outcome.
I'm speaking from experience, I am a gunsmith in training but I always re-assure anyone that asks me to do anything to their gun that I wont do anything I dont know everything there is to know about it before attempting it.
If you are interested in gunsmithing there are some great books you can read, just be sure you know the author is an actual author and gunsmith.
The old phrase "Its better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission" doesnt apply to guns. You can easily screw up a gun for good buy doing something wrong.

Fortunately for you, your problem is fixable for the most part and you can chalk this one up to a learning experience like the guys said.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

the interweb is a great place to ask questions so you got a place to start asking experts the right questions.

after getting "expert advice" your next step shoulda been to go to a real gunsmith and ask them about the process...