Help navigating!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Help navigating!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Default Help navigating!

I know there is already quite a few AR builds on here but I'm having a hard time finding lower parts kits recommendations. Any help is much appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

DPMS lower parts kit is great for the money. You would still need a stock kit (buffer, tube, spring, etc.)

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

Thanks. I ended up ordering a MOE lower kit from PSA. Dark earth. With buffer tube, spring, and Stock too.

image-2205892402.jpg  

Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter View Post
Thanks. I ended up ordering a MOE lower kit from PSA. Dark earth. With buffer tube, spring, and Stock too.
Those are nice psa has good stuff at great prices. I personally h ave a daniel defense lower parts kit and for the extra cash I don't think its worth it. The trigger is still the same old gritty mil spec pos.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh66

Those are nice psa has good stuff at great prices. I personally h ave a daniel defense lower parts kit and for the extra cash I don't think its worth it. The trigger is still the same old gritty mil spec pos.
Now to find a stripped receiver that's not over priced and available. Any ideas? I think I'm going to go the 80 percent route. I just hope that it doesn't take me more than one to figure it out. I found the jig and the adapters along with the prints and instructions. So hopefully that'll work out.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:

Now to find a stripped receiver that's not over priced and available. Any ideas? I think I'm going to go the 80 percent route. I just hope that it doesn't take me more than one to figure it out. I found the jig and the adapters along with the prints and instructions. So hopefully that'll work out.
I'm not sure what the market is on a lower lately. I got mine from psa before the craziness started. I'm in the process of working up an 80% lower. I have access to a cnc mill due to the fact that, that's how I make my living. How do you plan on finishing your 80% if that's the way you decide to go? Its really not any cheaper to go the 80% route but if that is the only way you can find them that's the best option. I'm doing it more to say I've done it, and its going to be a hand me down to my son when he gets old enough

Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:

I'm not sure what the market is on a lower lately. I got mine from psa before the craziness started. I'm in the process of working up an 80% lower. I have access to a cnc mill due to the fact that, that's how I make my living. How do you plan on finishing your 80% if that's the way you decide to go? Its really not any cheaper to go the 80% route but if that is the only way you can find them that's the best option. I'm doing it more to say I've done it, and its going to be a hand me down to my son when he gets old enough
I really like the idea of doing myself also. For the "pride" factor I guess. I'm a pipe welder by trade but not a machinist. I'm thinking about buying a few of them and finding a machinist that would let me use their equipment and knowledge for trade for one of the lowers. That's one plan. Another is to get a hold of a mill myself and trying my hand at it. I feel like its something that is not too far from my capabilities. I live in Las Vegas, so if you have a machine guy in the area that'd be in to a deal like that, that'd be handy. I'll have to keep in touch with you at least. Maybe I can get some tips from you along the way?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:

I really like the idea of doing myself also. For the "pride" factor I guess. I'm a pipe welder by trade but not a machinist. I'm thinking about buying a few of them and finding a machinist that would let me use their equipment and knowledge for trade for one of the lowers. That's one plan. Another is to get a hold of a mill myself and trying my hand at it. I feel like its something that is not too far from my capabilities. I live in Las Vegas, so if you have a machine guy in the area that'd be in to a deal like that, that'd be handy. I'll have to keep in touch with you at least. Maybe I can get some tips from you along the way?
I'm in south carolina but originally from Wisconsin so I can't help you out with a machinist in your area. If you can get ahold of a mill yourself that's always useful to have. I find all sorts of stuff to do with mine around the house. Im not sure what the availability of them in vegas is but it isn't good here and prices are sky high. I bought mine in Wisconsin before I moved here for $1000 down here they are asking 3-4 times that for a comparable machine. I actually didn't use mine on my lowers because I work in a cnc shop and our machines there are way more precise than I am on my manual at home so it was just easier and I got the programs from a guy on here so that saved a lot of time. Ok... back to topic your plan with trading one for shop time sounds like a good one to me. I've also see guys do them on their drill presses at home but would not advise it. Between aluminium being a finicky metal for thw beginner and how under powered a drill press is I'd say its asking for disaster. But always feel free to either pm me or resurrect this thread to ask me any questions you might have. There is another guy on here his screen name is machinehead he's also done this and helped me out a lot on my first one.

Last edited by jwalsh66; 01-09-2013 at 05:23 AM.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:

I'm in south carolina but originally from Wisconsin so I can't help you out with a machinist in your area. If you can get ahold of a mill yourself that's always useful to have. I find all sorts of stuff to do with mine around the house. Im not sure what the availability of them in vegas is but it isn't good here and prices are sky high. I bought mine in Wisconsin before I moved here for $1000 down here they are asking 3-4 times that for a comparable machine. I actually didn't use mine on my lowers because I work in a cnc shop and our machines there are way more precise than I am on my manual at home so it was just easier and I got the programs from a guy on here so that saved a lot of time. Ok... back to topic your plan with trading one for shop time sounds like a good one to me. I've also see guys do them on their drill presses at home but would not advise it. Between aluminium being a finicky metal for thw beginner and how under powered a drill press is I'd say its asking for disaster. But always feel free to either pm me or resurrect this thread to ask me any questions you might have. There is another guy on here his screen name is machinehead he's also done this and helped me out a lot on my first one.
Awesome! Thank you

Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:

Awesome! Thank you
No problem we do what we can to help each other out around here