Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Help with my Medusa??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
What does that pin under the rear sight hold?
I dont know? I thought it was holding in the firing pin.. but I still cant get the FP out.. Maybe it is "ringed" like you said??

Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341595013
When you get it together, get it some of that ammo, for display.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Trez Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #13

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
I don't know? I thought it was holding in the firing pin.
That has to hold the firing pin. Remove it and try tapping out the firing pin. Did the frame always look like that near the firing pin? I would suggest using your existing hammer. If necessary have a new firing pin made that is a few thousandths longer on the back end. It is a very simple firing pin so having one made should not be very expensive. Too bad you are not a little closer, I would certainly help you out.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #14

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341595013
When you get it together, get it some of that ammo, for display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
That has to hold the firing pin. Remove it and try tapping out the firing pin. Did the frame always look like that near the firing pin? I would suggest using your existing hammer. If necessary have a new firing pin made that is a few thousandths longer on the back end. It is a very simple firing pin so having one made should not be very expensive. Too bad you are not a little closer, I would certainly help you out.
That is Awesome stuff right there 'Gello!! I want some!

I wish I was too Hiwall, With all the old guns you fix, I think we could get this figured out..... Maybe I need to take a road trip one day

Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Holy cow!!!! That stuff looks like it will seriously mess up anything it hits.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #16

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin__9 View Post
If I remember correctly annealing and case hardening is based on carbon in the steel. Once you cook it off, you cannot (normally) add more. And the steel quality deteriorates the more you mess with heat.
My guess is if you want to salvage is to look for more parts.
I don't know much about revolvers.
You can add carbon into the steel throughout the heat treating process with hot oil baths. And quality dosnt diminish in the steel if heat treated properly, your most likely thinking of carbon percipitation. The grain structure is likely to change with welding as it is heated and the filler metals have added elements such as the copper coating on the rod which should be removed as its only there to prevent corrosion to the filler itself while in storage as well as other minerals like silica. But with proper heat treating procedures and jigging to prevent noticeable warping you can return the steel to what once was. i wouldnt worry about carbon content as much as other elements that may be lost in the process. I doubt any of this would have any great effect on the application though.