Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Help making 9mm Makarov Barrel with limited tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Help making 9mm Makarov Barrel with limited tools

I am looking to make a 9mm makarov barrel for my baby eagle.

I would like to know your thoughts on the possibility of this and issues that I might run into.

I would like suggestion on the material to use for the barrel and some input to make the tools I absolutely need that can be made. or where to buy tools that are more difficult to make.

My first thought is to make a basic hand crank lathe and a spring loaded arm with a file attached to make the barrel round. The inside of the barrel would need some kind of inside cutter. Then I will need a cutter to rifle it. Not sure what is commercially available and what can be made.

Any input on sizes of the inside of the barrel would be helpful also.

I plan on putting a lot of time and care into this to get it to come out nice but I don't have a lot of money to spend on tools.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I don't think you have the first clue how difficult this will be.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20859 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho1911u22 View Post
I am looking to make a 9mm makarov barrel for my baby eagle.

I would like to know your thoughts on the possibility of this and issues that I might run into.

I would like suggestion on the material to use for the barrel and some input to make the tools I absolutely need that can be made. or where to buy tools that are more difficult to make.

My first thought is to make a basic hand crank lathe and a spring loaded arm with a file attached to make the barrel round. The inside of the barrel would need some kind of inside cutter. Then I will need a cutter to rifle it. Not sure what is commercially available and what can be made.

Any input on sizes of the inside of the barrel would be helpful also.

I plan on putting a lot of time and care into this to get it to come out nice but I don't have a lot of money to spend on tools.
if you don't have a lot of money for the tools and equipment, then it's highly doubtful you will be able to make one.

chambering reamers will be needed. a milling machine will be needed. rifling would need to be done by those with the tooling to do it.

i think you are getting in way over your head on this project.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2753 Times on 1596 Posts
Likes Given: 1203

Listen to these gentlemen.
By the time you get the tools required, the material (it won't be on the first attempt), and time, you would have been better off to purchase aftermarket.

Contact a couple of barrel makers.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I know how difficult it will be. There is no aftermarket barrel in this caliber and having a 1 off barrel would cost more than a gun most likely. It's not impossible though. I figured asking here may give me some useful information. Input from somebody who has done such a thing. But I should have known better. I know everything can be done with a basic lathe setup and I know I can build a basic lathe to do the cuts for almost nothing.

I'm going to do it anyway because I like building stuff. Was hoping for input from somebody older and wiser who may have some experience. It is sad how most people assume only professionals can do things. I think it results in a lot of loss of knowledge that can be handed down from people who have actually done things. Or collaboration on figuring out how to do things.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #6

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
I know how difficult it will be. There is no aftermarket barrel in this caliber and having a 1 off barrel would cost more than a gun most likely. It's not impossible though. I figured asking here may give me some useful information. Input from somebody who has done such a thing. But I should have known better. I know everything can be done with a basic lathe setup and I know I can build a basic lathe to do the cuts for almost nothing.

I'm going to do it anyway because I like building stuff. Was hoping for input from somebody older and wiser who may have some experience. It is sad how most people assume only professionals can do things. I think it results in a lot of loss of knowledge that can be handed down from people who have actually done things. Or collaboration on figuring out how to do things.
I think you did get useful info about this. That no one has done it should tell you something. 1it is not easy, 2 is potential dangerous and life threatening of done wrong.

If you really want a Makarov there are lots of low cost options out there.

If you are still determined to do it yourself best of luck to you.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:

i have some experience and your not going to do it without a real lathe setup, one that is designed specifically around making a barrel. one of those woodworking setups isnt going to cut the mustard so to speak. thats just getting the outside diameter cut. next your going to need a mill to shave up the breech block area of the new barrel any typical metal working mill is good for cutting breach blocks.

the problem your facing is enough precision to turn out a usable barrel that isnt a smooth bore. rifle is cut by either hammering barrel material around a reverse rifled spindle or drawing a cutting head through a pre-bored barrel. neither of which can be done short of a dedicated barrel making facility.

so that leaves you with ordering a pre-made section of barrel and ordering it in the correct dimensions pre-cut.

here is a very good article on how its done and has been done down the centuries.

http://www.lasc.us/RangingShotBarrelMakingFeature.htm

before you ask about how the arabs do it in the mud huts in the desert... they are only making the basic recievers all their barrels are made either in russian factories or factories in some other hell hole that just churns out cheap shody barrels by the millions with no real care whether the right metals are used or how worn the tools are or even if the barrel isnt off center bored.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-05-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Your right anything can be done. Generally even experienced gunsmiths with full machine shops don't make their own barrels. Its a specialty in its own accord. Just making the rifling cutting plugs will drive you nuts. Buying a set of calipurs accurate enough to size the broaches will cost as much as a barrel. Of course you could just make it smooth bore. The rifling cutting plugs need to be made in series with about .002 diference in size, you need 3 or 4 of them. THen you'll have to rigg up an arbor press with a long enough stroke to push the plugg. It can be done but it won't save you any money over just asking a barrel maker to make one for you. Or buying a short rifle blank in the approriate calibur and then shaping itb down

Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

I think you could find a used barrel in good condition by calling the parts guys in shotgun news, with an hour or two on th phone you'll find a barrel and you can spend ur time figuring out how to make ur own gunpowder and primers, which believe it or not is about as dangerous as making a gun barrel with melted down coke bottles and old ber cans. ;-), seriously though, try shotgun news you'd be surprised what you can dig up.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20859 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

Quote:

you think you can build a lather that can make extremely accurate cuts?

i worked one time many years ago in a facility that made many different types of gun parts and barrels included for pistols. that facility didn't even do the rifling of the barrels, it was sent out to a barrel maker.

the figuring it out has already been done. i know how it's done, as do many others here. unless you have an extremely well equiped shop with the proper equipment and the time and experiance in running that equipment, i very seriously doubt you will ever make a usable barrel that will work safely.

but you seem to think you are capable, so i wish you lots of luck and hope you don't injure yourself or others with your lack of common sense.