Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > help bedding a receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Default help bedding a receiver

Hey guys, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I've been looking for a while and can't find any info. Does anyone have a write up on how to bed a receiver on a rifle? I read on here some people were doing it with JB Weld, but I need to know how to actually do this, as I've never done it before. Any help or links would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #2

Quite a few threads here on the subject...use the "Search" tool.
Also I found this useful Glass Bedding The Stock the first time I bedded a rifle. Acraglas is super smooth and easy to use.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #3

Thank you for the information.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #4

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-466.pdf

glass bedding instructions

Old 06-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You'll need modeling clay, Acraglas Gel kit, a Dremel with a wood bit, masking tape, plenty of release agent, and a good dose of patience.

1st "hog" the area you're going to bed out. You're going to be using the Dremel with the wood cutter bit. Remember to keep the area you're going to bed shallow. You just want it deep enough to have a thick film of bedding. I strongly suggest you keep an "island" of wood around where the action screws go unless you're going to pillar bed it at the same time. Also remove a slight amount of wood from around the recoil lug area.

Next take the masking tape and tape the outside of the stock where you don't want excess bedding compound to go-it WILL stick to the finish of the stock.

Now is when you use the modeling clay to make "dams" to stop the bedding compound from going anywhere outside of the area you're bedding. You'll put the clay in places you don't want it to seep into like trigger area, mag well area, in front of the recoil lug, etc. It's important to make SURE you put clay in all areas the bedding compound will seep into.

This is the time to put release agent on ALL metal parts. In fact, put at least 3 coats on them. I like the spray release agent that Brownells sells.

You're finally ready to mix the compound. I use a touch of the color provided and mix (if you have Acraglas Gel like I recommend) it 50% resin and 50% hardener. Mix it thoroughly according to the directions or at least 1 minute. It'll start to be slightly warm when you're done. Remember it don't take much compound for what you're going to do. Apply the mixed compound to the areas you're bedding.

Seat the barreled action in the stock. LIGHTLY screw the action screws to just bottom out. You're not torquing the screws. Remember you applied release agent to all the screws and action? Don't be scared if some of the bedding oozes out on the sides of the stock-that's what the masking tape was for.

Wait about 1 hour and remove the excess bedding compound from the outside of the stock. Let it cure for several hours and remove the action from the stock. It'll be slightly hard to remove the screws and action. Remove all the clay. You can reuse the clay for your next bedding job. Now that it has fully hardened you may trim or grind the excess bedding.

BROWNELLS : ACRAGLAS GEL

BROWNELLS : ACRA-RELEASE

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #6

1st off, thank you for the replies and help.

2nd, I should apologize. I figured bedding a stock would be a one size fits all type of job, and I was wrong.

I should have supplied more information on what I have and what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a Remington 597 .22 cal. semi-auto with a synthetic stock. Basically the rifle just sat for a number of years and now I'm laid up after a knee surgery and figured I'd undertake this as a project. I've free-floated the barrel and polished the rust and abrasions out of the crown. I polished the trigger and metal surfaces in the action. Basically I would like to see what I can squeeze out of this gun and try to turn it from a "junk gun" to a real nice shooter. I kind of figured I could use some JB Weld in the receiver and was looking for instructions on that.
The information you all have provided this far has been really helpful and I appreciate it, I seem to have a better plan of action now. If you have any other ideas about this and wish to share, I would appreciate it. I'll post a range report and pictures with a write-up if all goes well with this.