Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/help-68687/)

ONESHOTKID 07-22-2012 02:23 AM

Help

Ok so here is the thing i have a new design for a shotgun in which i would want to create does anyone feel comfortable helping me with this project

mountainman13 07-22-2012 02:38 AM

Welcome to FTF. You need licensing to manufacture firearms.

ONESHOTKID 07-22-2012 02:42 AM

well im trying to get on the right path for everything, i got everything lined up in what i want to do where i want to go etc, just not alot of people can help me with answers, i know i want to be a gunsmith and i have all these designs, i know i want to go to school but having a hard time finding one close to iowa, i know im goin to start my own business, and i know i need licensing, so what licenses do i need?

mountainman13 07-22-2012 02:50 AM

This should be a good start.
We have a thread somewhere with a list of gunsmithing school options just do a search for it.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html

c3shooter 07-22-2012 02:52 AM

First, you need to be 21 to be a gunsmith or manufacturer.

That is because a smith holds a Federal Firearms License issued by the Federal BATFE as an 01 Dealer. A Manufacturer holds a different FFL- as a Manufacturer.

Now, not to pop your bubble- but designing a firearm involves FAR more than drawing what one would look like. Have you had any training in Engineering, or as a machinist/ tool & die maker? Have you had training in the basic elements of a firearm- such as the forcing cone for a shotgun, what is headspace, back boring, etc?

Not meant to flame you in any way- we get a LOT of inquiries from a lot of folks, and I cannot look thru the computer and tell if you are 14 or 44. So, what is your background and experience?

danf_fl 07-22-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONESHOTKID (Post 877543)
well im trying to get on the right path for everything, i got everything lined up in what i want to do where i want to go etc, just not alot of people can help me with answers, i know i want to be a gunsmith and i have all these designs, i know i want to go to school but having a hard time finding one close to iowa, i know im goin to start my own business, and i know i need licensing, so what licenses do i need?

Iowa? Isn't that close to Brownells?

Not only licenses, but insurance too.
Consider zoning, business license, FFL license, bond money, advertising, schooling, tools, schooling for tools usage, rent, schooling on the latest methods, accountant fees, schooling on business, mistakes that cost money, schooling on welding, cutting, lathe, mill, just to start out.

ONESHOTKID 07-22-2012 03:22 AM

Brownells yes that is in iowa close to montezuma which is about a hour from my home town, now to answer the other questions, what do you want to know, im 26 years old military armorer, i have been around weapons my whole life, and since the military even more, and no i havent done machine work but again thats why i want to go to school, and a picture is how it all starts, you gotta start somewhere. I know you werent trying to burn me. I just had a idea and am chasing what i want to do.

Axxe55 07-22-2012 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONESHOTKID (Post 877599)
Brownells yes that is in iowa close to montezuma which is about a hour from my home town, now to answer the other questions, what do you want to know, im 26 years old military armorer, i have been around weapons my whole life, and since the military even more, and no i havent done machine work but again thats why i want to go to school, and a picture is how it all starts, you gotta start somewhere. I know you werent trying to burn me. I just had a idea and am chasing what i want to do.

though i am not a gunsmith by any means i do know a few. i admire your desire to want ot be one and very much support that desire. gunsmithing is a rewarding profession that many wish they could do, but few are truly capable of doing. with many of todays firearms, it is becoming soemwhat of a dying profession.

see if you could go to a good trade school and learn how, as there are some very good ones in this country. check with any local gunsmiths and see about becoming an apprentice to one to learn how. see about going to work in a machine shop and learning how to use milling machines and lathes. take some classes in welding and metal work.

if you are truly serious about becoming a gunsmith and have the desire and talent, you will make it happen and overcome any obstacles in your path. i wish you luck in your endeavor and hope your dream happens.

bearrwe 07-22-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONESHOTKID (Post 877599)

You might consider contacting Brownells, they have programs and classes at various locations around the country they may have some there. Do you need to go to school in Iowa, for what you want if you could move to a school and spend the two years it would probably be the best thing. There is a sticky in this section of gunsmithing school and several threads on which is best. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

danf_fl 07-22-2012 08:07 AM

No burn intended. I wish you the best, but I also wanted you to know that there is a lot more to gunsmithing than getting a diploma from school and hanging out a shingle.

Brownells may be able to help. They also sponsor a job fair once a year for aspiring gunsmiths.