Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Is it hard to become an apprentice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is it hard to become an apprentice?

...if you start from almost nothing? I'm looking for a gunsmith in Russia or Great Britain that would take me for apprentice. Myself I live in Finland at the moment. I don't know much of guns or gunsmithing but I want to learn how to make them, and make them for living.
I know russian but I don't know how to write it correctly. My english is okay. I have a little experience of working with metal and wood.

Does anyone happen to know any gunsmith from those places that would take a random whelp in for apprentice? I would be ready to go at august when my 18th birthday comes.
Or is this beyond me? What should I do?

e: Thank you!

Last edited by Pockethole; 05-16-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
Jarvis
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

First ask yourself if you want to be a gunsmith because you will like the work, or for the money. Because from my experience and from people I've talked to (including ones on this forum), very few people have earned a fortune gunsmithing, but you can make a good living.
I live in the U.S.A., so I can only speak from experience here, but i figure this lesson is a lesson learned everywhere.
Most employers in a trade like gunsmithing and manufacturing won't spend time on a person with little or no experience. Your best bet would be to find a good gunsmithing school ,if available, to teach the basics. Aside from what they teach you, they can usually help you get your foot in the door somewhere. Otherwise buy some gunsmithing books, disassembly books, a a brownells catalog, and some basic tools, and get your feet wet with firearms you own, or family or friends.
Wish you the best, and this is a great forum if you have any questions!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #3

Default apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockethole View Post
...if you start from almost nothing? I'm looking for a gunsmith in Russia or Great Britain that would take me for apprentice. Myself I live in Finland at the moment. I don't know much of guns or gunsmithing but I want to learn how to make them, and make them for living.
I know russian but I don't know how to write it correctly. My english is okay. I have a little experience of working with metal and wood.

Does anyone happen to know any gunsmith from those places that would take a random whelp in for apprentice? I would be ready to go at august when my 18th birthday comes.
Or is this beyond me? What should I do?

e: Thank you!
you might try looking for a gunsmith in Germany to apprentice under.
It used to be the first three years was learning to file. But that may have changed over the years I'm surprised you aren't looking for one in Finland

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 05-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Germany's apprenticeship and on programs are very formal and traditional.

I'd look up "Indentured Servant" in your home country.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6745 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Finland makes some of the best rifles in the world, Sako, Have you tried there?

And welcome to the forum

Old 05-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #6

[QUOTE=HockaLouis;1251501]Germany's apprenticeship and on programs are very formal and traditional.

I'd look up "Indentured Servant" in your home country.

I didn't tell him it would be easy, but usually when you finish he will give you a set of tools. and you could make one helluva gun

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #7

It might be of interest to hear my reasons.
Finland has very peaceful pace of life, but what I need is exciting and slightly wild environment, it is too peaceful here for my nature... I do know nearest gunsmith and I have visited him, it seems I could have chances to start as his apprentice. My road might return me back here if I find my journey fruitless.
I have been thinking of Russia because it is my home country where I was born, but it seems they have such high restrictions, even compared to Finland that it is most unlikely for me to find one willing gunsmith in there. I've heard it is mostly factory gunsmithing there from my mother. We intend to visit Russia in purpose of meeting relatives and this reason.
Then I have been considering Great Britain and Germany. GB because it happens so that I am visiting it next fall and I know the language fine.
Germany, it seems long tradition and is commonly known that they make good guns. The language sounds fascinating but I don't know it. I have also read germans are keen of their habits, like opening windows at certain time and knowing the time. That would suit me because I also open windows when I'm inside house as motionless air is uncomfortable.

I have attempted entering the gunsmith school here in Finland, if I were to be accepted, I should receive a letter at beginning of june. If it was to fail I would have this backup plan of mine. Military training is also somewhere among it.

I am most grateful for your answers, stay alive friends

Last edited by Pockethole; 05-20-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check out the American Gunsmithing institute and their videos. I'm sure they will send them to FInland and will bea great head start for you. Do some work on your own time and expense, some of your own guns, pimp them out! If someone came to me saying they wanted to work for me with no experience at all they would start by sweeping the floors and driving around before I ever let them touch a customer's firearm.

I get people asking once a month to be an apprentice, since I work out of my house I can't take one on. Having said that, nobody is going to get super rich being a gunsmith but you can make a very fine living if you have business sense in addition to your gunsmith skills.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Last edited by CGS; 05-20-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockethole View Post
stay alive friends
Well we will certainly TRY, I am guessing something got lost in the translation of that one

You stay thirsty my friend!

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Last edited by CGS; 05-20-2013 at 09:26 PM.