Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Hammer "Stub" Too Small

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hammer "Stub" Too Small

My Taurus 851 snub is a nice little carry piece. I bought it (over the Mod 85) because of the shrouded hammer.

However, the "stub" of the hammer that's supposed to permit SA cocking is really tiny. Touch of arthritis in my right hand, and to use it SA I have to reach over with my left thumb to cock it. Probably not the safest thing to do.

Tried a buddy's S&W with shrouded hammer, and it's not easy but easier than the Taurus.

Taurus CS says it's normal, and says I can send it in for a second opinion, but I'm not sure what that will do. I was thinking maybe of having a small spot weld or braze on top to give my thumb something to grip.

Anybody else encountered this - - - - - as has a fix.

BTW, the DA pull is fine, so I don't think the hammer is binding.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Chuck, someone should be along shortly to give you some options. In the mean time, wuld you mind going over to the introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself?

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 03-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_in_texas View Post
My Taurus 851 snub is a nice little carry piece. I bought it (over the Mod 85) because of the shrouded hammer.

However, the "stub" of the hammer that's supposed to permit SA cocking is really tiny. Touch of arthritis in my right hand, and to use it SA I have to reach over with my left thumb to cock it. Probably not the safest thing to do.

Tried a buddy's S&W with shrouded hammer, and it's not easy but easier than the Taurus.

Taurus CS says it's normal, and says I can send it in for a second opinion, but I'm not sure what that will do. I was thinking maybe of having a small spot weld or braze on top to give my thumb something to grip.

Anybody else encountered this - - - - - as has a fix.

BTW, the DA pull is fine, so I don't think the hammer is binding.

Chuch,

As I see it the whole purpose of a shrouded hammer is to keep the hammer from being accidently being cocked back and placing the weapon in single action stage. I believe, not sure mind you, they were designed for concealed carry for police. If you want to cock your weapon and shoot single action why not just buy one with an exposed hammer? If you extend the hammer, and that's what I think you’re saying when you talk about putting “a small spot weld or braze on top” you are defeating the purpose of having a shrouded hammer. I would not do it myself.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would give strong thought to obtaining a second hammer, then having that hammer built up via Tig welding to a shape you are comfortable with.

Keep one hammer in original configuration just in case you someday want to go back to square one.

The bottom gun pictured (Charter Arms Undevcover .38) now has a serrated top hammer shape that might be more to your liking. The original hammer, which now sits in drawer somewhere, wasn't too far away in shape from the top pistols. I have seen similar hammer mods done to S&W K and N frames also.

pocketdou.jpg  

Last edited by superc; 03-28-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added words

Old 03-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Buy a model 85 hammer and grind away the spur until you have just enough left to manually cock the revolver if you HAVE to shoot it single action. If it was ME I'd just practice double action only as that's the way the gun was designed to be fired anyway. The hammer was designed to not snag on clothing during the draw and any modifications to the hammer will affect that. I would recommend having a Wolff spring kit installed to safely, reliably reduce the trigger pull weight on DA.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #6

thanks to all for the quick answers! I mainly shoot the gun DA, and I bought the shrouded hammer since I pocket carry. (and pocket guns are DA, I know) the reason I had wanted the shrouded hammer, as opposed to a DA only (I also have a Ruger LCR that's DAO), was to have SA available as an option.

What's troubling me, I suppose, is that the effort to get it cocked in SA is way more than I think it should be (at least way more than my old bones can handle).

but it may be that all Taurus pieces with this config are like this.

I guess my next step is to take it to a good smith and see what he says about whether or no anything is impeding. I DO like the idea of getting a second hammer before I try this, in case I want to go back to the original. Or, in case it had to go back for factory service.

thanks again!!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #7

Another nice thing about the Wolff spring kits is they'll reduce cocking effort by 40%.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #8

stalkingbear:

with the wolff springs, have you ever encountered a FTF? I've heard about them but been reluctant to try.

I guess all I could do is to try a set and see if ignition is normal, eh?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've heard of people having trouble with Wolff springs but I've used them for a few weapons and not had the issue come up. I sometimes wonder if the ones with problems have not been installed properly but I have not actually held the "problem weapon(s)" so I can't make that assumption.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #10

I've never experienced a failure to fire with the Wolff spring kits. I go with the middle weight mainspring when faced with a choice. If they weren't reliable I wouldn't recommend them.