H&R Shotgun issues
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > H&R Shotgun issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 02:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default H&R Shotgun issues

I have an old H&R Model 1900 Single Shot shotgun that has a couple of issues I'd like to try to remedy, I'm just not sure exactly how.

The first is a crack in the stock. I've attached an image below:

What's the base way to repair the crack to ensure that it holds during shooting?

Second is related to the crack. At some point, to "repair" the crack, the stock was wrapped in electrical tape. I am considering refinishing the stock, so is there a good way to get the gooey, stickiness off before I sand the stock?

Third and perhaps most difficult to describe is the barrel. It wobbles (for lack of a better word) left and right a bit. As I hold the barrel, I can gently move my hand back and forth and the barrel moves slightly left and right near the break at the breech. I have no clue how to remedy that. I'm hesitant to shoot it with the barrel moving like that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2014, 02:30 AM   #2

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I wouldn't bother with trying to fix the appearance of the crack. I would just fiberglass the inside of the stock to prevent the crack from becoming a split.

If the barrel does not wobble with the breech closed I would consider the H&R to be golden. I would shoot it every time I felt like hearing something go bang.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:52 AM   #3

Liked 3251 Times on 1669 Posts
Likes Given: 4893

Lighter Fluid is the best way to remove the goo from the electrical tape. Takes it right off, leaves no residue.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

If you aren't too concerned about looks, then using epoxy in the crack and then clamping the wood should close it up. Then drill a hole through the stock from side to side in the area of the crack and run a solid brass screw through the stock. Cut off both ends of the screw and file it flush with the stock. Then refinish the stock. You will just have a brass spot on both sides of the stock, but the screw should help prevent further splitting.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #5

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If the barrel does not wobble with the breech closed I would consider the H&R to be golden. I would shoot it every time I felt like hearing something go bang.
The barrel does wobble with the breech closed.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #6

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
Lighter Fluid is the best way to remove the goo from the electrical tape. Takes it right off, leaves no residue.
WD40 works well too

Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 AM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Us acra glass to fill the crack with. It's made for gun wood and will never let to. Make sure you get the material to totally fill the crack. Clamp the part to the cement drys. The material expands as it dries. So clamp the part.

As far as the loose barrel goes. Don't shoot the gun. Have a gunsmith look at it first. The gun may be done.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

First, auto parts stores sell spray cans of stuff that is made to dissolve all kinds of adhesives. Worth looking for.

Second, everyone has left out the most important part of fixing the stock: you have GOT to get the oil out of the wood before any kind of repair will stick to it! Acetone works great, gasoline well, but both are flammable, so use accordingly.

Next, if I had your stock, after degreasing, I'd use a dovetail saw to cut two kerfs close to and parallel to the split. Then I'd carve out the wood between the cuts, fit a piece of walnut to the slot and glue that in place with Titebond II. When the glue had cured, I'd dress the new wood down to the original surface and carve the inside as needed to fit the action. Then I'd strip the finish off the stock, stain the new walnut to match if necessary, then refinish.

The repair would not be invisible, but would look worlds better than a dark chasm filled with Acraglass.

As far as the wobbling is concerned, my guess would be that the locking lug is worn just enough to not lock up tight.

In that case, remove the forearm and barrel. Then tap the aft end of the locking lug judiciously a few times with the big end of a medium ball pein hammer, working the center of impact of successive blows from left to right or right to left along the aft face tending toward the top edge. You are trying to cold forge the back of the lug upward a few thousandths of an inch--it doesn't take much.

After one pass along the lug, hang the barrel on the action and close it. Test to see if you have improved things. If all is well, you're done. If not rinse and repeat, with a little more vigor. I'll bet this will put you back in business. It has always worked miracles for me.

Jim

Last edited by jdsingleshot; 02-23-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:30 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Barrel wobble with the breach closed is not a good thing and potentially dangerous. The problem is most likely at the hinge pin. The pin is worn causing the wobble and needs to be replaced. It may be simple enough to do yourself depending on your ability. If it is just the pin you want replaced it should not be too expensive to have a gunsmith do it. You might also contact H&R about parts and/or the work. It might also need a new under lug. Fitting will be the key issue if it involves both the pin and the lug.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/2010/09/23/gunsmithing_st_howpin_200807/

Old 03-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you are going to keep the shotgun why not replace the stock and have a great looking stock instead of fooling around with all the other? Possibly none of the other ideas will totally solve the problem. Try Boyd's they be able to replace your stock.