Gunsmithing Tools: Your suggestions please!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmithing Tools: Your suggestions please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gunsmithing Tools: Your suggestions please!

So I need your suggestions on tools that every gunsmith should have and suggestions on tools gunsmiths cannot live without. I'm attempting to buy a gift for the best man in my wedding who is a gunsmith. Now I do not know his inventory of tools besides the basics like screw drivers, mounting items, and a lathe. But I want to get him something that he will obviously be stoked about and something he will use often. I'm looking to find something (or couple things) under 500 bucks. Also your pick for brands too.

So please offer up your advice and thank you!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do you know if he does specific gunsmithing such as rifles or pistols? As a gunsmith he probably has everday gunsmithing tools and a Brownells or MidwayUSA (gunsmithing supply companies) gift card would be very appreciated.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #3

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Get him a gift certificate to Brownells.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

As a gunsmith I agree with the gift certificate. There are always speciality tools and other things I wanted but was willing to pony up the cash for. Get a gunsmith hat or travel mug if you want give something with the card.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8708 Times on 3768 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Besides the gift certificate (reallly good idea) there are certain referernce books that smiths use. Depends on what he does- handgun, rifle, shotgun, small bore, etc.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #6

Sounds like a gift card is a lock but something more personal would be ideal. He definately works on black powder guns, like conversions from or to flash pan and percussion cap. I know he just got out of colts 1911 school in Pittsburg, maybe it was springfield. Anyway his client base are mostly older who like antique firearms and collectables.

We mostly shoot sporting clays together and I know he wants to start doing 3 gun shoots that I'm totally stoked for.

If you have anymore suggestions let me know based on the above. Thank you very much for your input thus far it has been a tremendous help.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Besides the gift certificate (reallly good idea) there are certain referernce books that smiths use. Depends on what he does- handgun, rifle, shotgun, small bore, etc.
Are the reference books pricy? I could just get him all of them : )

Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2423 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

I agree with DOC! A gift certificate to Brownells or places like Forster Gauge would be a safe bet! Then when he needs a special tool, instruction manual or gauge he could just simply order what he needed!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #9

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

As far as reference books go I've gotten allot of great use out of my "Encyclopeia of Modern Firearms". Brownells sells these too. They've also got the "Gunsmith Kinks" collection that's great to have.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8708 Times on 3768 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Check Bownells AND check amazon. Search gunsmithing, and gunsmith kinks (there are 4 kinks books)

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt