Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Gunsmithing tools (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/gunsmithing-tools-91767/)

Jack91 06-04-2013 05:19 PM

Gunsmithing tools

I'm looking for cheap tools for gunsmithing. I need a small welder and drillpress for under $150. Does anyone know where I can get cheap tools.

willshoum 06-04-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack91 (Post 1267445)
I'm looking for cheap tools for gunsmithing. I need a small welder and drillpress for under $150. Does anyone know where I can get cheap tools.

I hope your experience is more than what you will pay for said objects..........Try the junk yard...........;)

trip286 06-04-2013 06:10 PM

Pawn shops and craigslist would likely be the cheapest places you'll find.

danf_fl 06-04-2013 07:02 PM

IMO, cheap tools are not the way to go.

Inexpensive? Yes.
Cheap? Not in my shop!

Look at warranties when shopping. Harbor Freight has some decent warranties on some things.

"Buyer Beware" is a good thing to remember.

FullautoUSA 06-04-2013 09:38 PM

Check Brownells, amazon also usually has good deals on good stuff.

Gizord1 06-04-2013 10:09 PM

Harbor freight is a cool place to ooh and aah in and they have cheap prices, but there's a reason why my family calls it "the junk tool store".
There is some good stuff in there, but definitely not a welder or a drill press.

hiwall 06-04-2013 11:35 PM

The drill press is one of the most used power tools for a gunsmith. I would rather buy an older well made one than a cheap made new one.

DrumJunkie 06-05-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1267526)
IMO, cheap tools are not the way to go.

Inexpensive? Yes.
Cheap? Not in my shop!

Look at warranties when shopping. Harbor Freight has some decent warranties on some things.

"Buyer Beware" is a good thing to remember.

It's been my experience that the two places you don't want to get cheap is with guns and tools. You can get a deal and some good stuff can be had not not break the bank. But I've yet to have a cheap tool of any kind that held up long. In the long run you're better off to look for the best quality you can afford and keep an eye out for a deal.

The craigslist and pawn shop idea is a good one to keep an eye on.

weaselfire 06-17-2013 02:59 PM

Cheap welders never work out. But there are inexpensive drill presses in your price range. The problem will be the capabilities of the drill press. A bench top model will do a lot of work, but may not have the capacity you need for something. You'll also want a decent drill press vise, which adds cost.

I've bought some tools at pawn shops, but it takes some searching to find the right ones. Harbor Freight will usually work, but wear out quickly or have a problem you can't get parts for. You don't need a machine-shop drill press for hobby work, but you do need accuracy.

Welders depend a lot on what you'll do and how experienced you are. For the price of a decent welder, you can have a gunsmith handle quite a few jobs for you.

Jeff

hiwall 06-17-2013 07:42 PM

Pull the handle to move the chuck to its lowest position then try to wiggle the chuck back and forth. The more play there is the worse the drill press is. A good one will have no or very very little play.