Gunsmithing Schools? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmithing Schools?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 159 Times on 96 Posts

Just my .02 ( devalued to .01 in today's market) but stay the course with the helo a&p thing, and use this time to build to your gunsmithing knowledge and credentials as a side thing till retirement. You most certainly can acquire more money in that field, then once retired go full tilt with your true passion. As an a&p you are perfectly suited to be a great gunsmith. Now if you are truly not happy with your chosen profession that's another story, follow your dreams...

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 12-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2165 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 805

At 52 it will be hard to take a huge pay cut. I would apply for disability before I tried to keep everything going on the $8 an hour you will make as an apprentice gunsmith. Even with all your previous experience no one will want to pay very much with no experience in a gun shop. People have tried to hire me in gun shops. They did not make an offer that seems like they wanted any help. I will lease more land and bale hay until I die before I work for that kind of money.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-02-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Did anyone else read the graduation rate and number of students taking courses on the AGI site? I mean, the rate of graduates is like 15%. If I was spending the Thousands of dollars it cost to take those courses I think I'd at least want the certificate. The graduate rates were low and the number reporting any job placement was 0. Doesn't make one to confident in an online school that wants nearly $8000 to make you a Master Smith

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #14

I am currently taking courses through Modern Gun School ($1.700.00 for the advanced course 65 lessons) with backup support from some AGI courses so I can have a visual reference to what I am reading. Once I can afford it I will purchase the level 1 professional course which is running around $3k. and I also want the PRO trigger job course for $600. I already have welding and machining experience from my 20 years of maintenance work. I do not have the ability to relocate to go to any schools at this time. So this is my best option, I have taken the Glock Armorers course which was my first hands on course. With what I had learned from my courses and from doing my own firearms work I was able to ace the class, I totally agree that a hands on trades school is the best way to go, but I can say the online courses can work if can get some hands on experience to backup the book or video courses.

Last edited by kerstingm; 02-13-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #15

I also recommend a hands-on School. I graduated from Colorado School of Trades. You will not have the skills by watching a video or reading a book. Don't get get me wrong I have a library of books & videos, although they are a small part of becoming a gunsmith. CST has been been open since about 1945. There is another school in Trinidad, CO. Both Schools have graduated some very will know gunsmiths ie.. PO Ackley & JERRY KUHNHAUSEN just to names few. It's not easy cheap or easy but they are some of the best Schools!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #16

I cannot agree with you more that a hands on trade school is the best way to go in this trade or any hands on skilled trade, with maybe even more so for this one just because of the dangers if you do something wrong you can cause someone to get seriously hurt. It is not always possible to relocate to go to one of these schools, all I can do is get to as many hands on courses I can that manufacturers put on throughout the year. I already have the Glock's Amorers course, I know Sig puts on a few, but will need to travel to their school for them, which is very possible since it is only a few days.
I know that I will only preform jobs that I have already preformed on my firearms first and know I am doing them safetly and correctly.
Thank you for your input

Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #17

I had read somewhere on one of the threads that CST was old school. They now have a new building & they now have C&C machines. They have almost all armor's courses with factory reps are available as side courses. I personally have taken side courses for Colt (M16/AR15 & 1911 70 & 80 series), Glock, Remington (700s & 870), Berretta (hand guns & shotguns), mossberg 500. Yes CST isn't cheap but you leave there with a credited Associates Degree, a toolbox full of the most essential handtools & any number of specialty tools that you can build, also at least one custom rifle that you build from the ground up. I built 4 Custom rifles, one being a 30-06AI that I built for my final grade. It will shoot as well as most bench rest guns.. It's one of a few elite gunsmith schools that just about any seasoned smith has heard of. I can still call my instructors when I'm have a problem & they always help me out. You can walk out of school into a gunsmith business & be recognized as a gunsmith. Where as in an online school they won't even talk to you. You definitely get what you pay for, no disrespect intended to those taking online courses.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #18

I totally agree with the best way to learn this trade is by going to an actual school, but for those of uswhodo not have that option, I am going through Modern Gun School with several video backup courses through AGI
I still believe AGI is the best option for what they offer. Yes it is one of the highest priced one out there short of attending a college, considering this is all hands on trade you really need at least a video to get a better idea of what needs to be done. I amoneof those guys that might not always pick up on something just by reading it, I willsaywith what I have learned so far I am grasping the trade pretty good. I have been able to repair anything I have had to work on so far. Newest pistol taken in is a 1940's FN-Browning Hi-Power in need of some tender loving care, cleaning and updated parts. I am not worried in the least that I can repair it.
I hope this helps you, this is coming from someone going through class now.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #19

Default Gunsmith Schools

Another source I found to find a gunsmithing school is www.gunsmithingschoolshqs.com

Old 09-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #20
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Smithing classes

I recently began courses at Penn Foster In Pa(Online), and after completing this I will attend a local school with a GS program(Yavapai College-Az..). Im not looking to work for someone else, although I will have a paid internship after I finish these courses...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...