Gunsmithing Schools?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmithing Schools?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gunsmithing Schools?

I have been a helicopter mechanic for the last 30 years, I have loved the life (still do), however my passion has always been for shooting guns. I was wondering if anybody has any advice for becoming a gunsmith. I am seeing alot of ads in my favorite gun mags lately offering online training, and was just wondering if any one has had any experiences with these schools, or is it best to just go off on my own?
I am 52 years old and the travel involved with what I do now is taking it's toll! Not rich enough yet to retire, just looking for something for the future!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Some of the on-line schools may be okay, but IMO, I would go in-resident (or at least hang around a good smith's shop). Cylinder and Slide offers a "Hands-on" class for the 1911. There are also Armorer's classes offered by different manufacturers. Various classes at vo-tech schools can be used in the pursuit of your new "hobby". Good Luck.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Check out Colorado school of trades. they got me started in the biz... ha ha.

By the way i frown apon an online gunsmithing school. Gunsmithing is a trade not a science you need hands on real world training to become an efficient gunsmith IMO, Something an online course can offer you.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Biohazurd; 05-24-2010 at 07:00 AM.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You're not going to get much out of online gunsmithing schools. I'd strongly suggest an on campus trade school or gunsmithing course. Gunsmithing is something that requires a LOT of hands on training.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #5

Thanks for all replies, I think I am going to try and get a part time job doing the grunt work at a local gun shop as my work schedule dosen't allow me the chance of attending a full time school.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 06-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazurd View Post
Check out Colorado school of trades. they got me started in the biz... ha ha.

By the way i frown apon an online gunsmithing school. Gunsmithing is a trade not a science you need hands on real world training to become an efficient gunsmith IMO, Something an online course can offer you.

I ment something it can not offer you, My bad..

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 06-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #7

I've taken 3 correspondence/online gunsmithing courses. 1. North American School of Firearms, Newport Bch, CA (mentioned in NRA Gunsmithing Guide), Phoenix State University Gunsmith Certificate program and Ashworth College School of Gunsmithing, Norcross, GA. Best by far (in my opinion) is Ashworth College and North American School of Firearms is no longer in existence (took that course in 1975) but by far the best way to learn is thru an established shop or by going to one of the accredited schools (Lassen, Colorado School of Trades, Montgomery Community College, etc.)

Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #8

Almost forgot! (it's the age thing!) Another way to start is by taking a machine shop course at a local community college. It will help a lot...

Old 06-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #9

I ordered the master gunsmithing course from AGI . I thought it was a valuable asset myself, and feel that anyone could learn from it. The dvd's they send you go into great detail of the firearms and they give you a great library to go back and refresh yourself on the kind of firearm you are working on, at least for me they do. you can start by just ordering one of their videos and see for yourself. I think it was well worth the 8k the class cost, i have always been a tinker with the lathe and mill and i now do far more than i could before i took the course, With the master gunsmith course you get all the firearms videos along with a practical course in machinery. along with test and i could study at my own pace. I thought it was a great investment. Just some food for thought and my 2 cents. here is the link AGI - Home

Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #10

Default Agi

I also have purchased AGI Armorer's courses (28 total) and like them a lot. A good machinist course along with AGI videos or correspondence/online courses
would probably make the grade!