Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Gunsmithing Schools? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/gunsmithing-schools-27063/)

Gordo323 05-12-2010 03:12 AM

Gunsmithing Schools?

I have been a helicopter mechanic for the last 30 years, I have loved the life (still do), however my passion has always been for shooting guns. I was wondering if anybody has any advice for becoming a gunsmith. I am seeing alot of ads in my favorite gun mags lately offering online training, and was just wondering if any one has had any experiences with these schools, or is it best to just go off on my own?
I am 52 years old and the travel involved with what I do now is taking it's toll! Not rich enough yet to retire, just looking for something for the future!

danf_fl 05-12-2010 09:03 AM

Some of the on-line schools may be okay, but IMO, I would go in-resident (or at least hang around a good smith's shop). Cylinder and Slide offers a "Hands-on" class for the 1911. There are also Armorer's classes offered by different manufacturers. Various classes at vo-tech schools can be used in the pursuit of your new "hobby". Good Luck.

Biohazurd 05-24-2010 06:57 AM

Check out Colorado school of trades. they got me started in the biz... ha ha.

By the way i frown apon an online gunsmithing school. Gunsmithing is a trade not a science you need hands on real world training to become an efficient gunsmith IMO, Something an online course can offer you.

stalkingbear 05-25-2010 01:41 PM

You're not going to get much out of online gunsmithing schools. I'd strongly suggest an on campus trade school or gunsmithing course. Gunsmithing is something that requires a LOT of hands on training.

Gordo323 05-26-2010 11:32 PM

Thanks for all replies, I think I am going to try and get a part time job doing the grunt work at a local gun shop as my work schedule dosen't allow me the chance of attending a full time school.

Biohazurd 06-09-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biohazurd (Post 289547)
Check out Colorado school of trades. they got me started in the biz... ha ha.

By the way i frown apon an online gunsmithing school. Gunsmithing is a trade not a science you need hands on real world training to become an efficient gunsmith IMO, Something an online course can offer you.

I ment something it can not offer you, My bad..

cappaletti 06-11-2010 05:52 PM

I've taken 3 correspondence/online gunsmithing courses. 1. North American School of Firearms, Newport Bch, CA (mentioned in NRA Gunsmithing Guide), Phoenix State University Gunsmith Certificate program and Ashworth College School of Gunsmithing, Norcross, GA. Best by far (in my opinion) is Ashworth College and North American School of Firearms is no longer in existence (took that course in 1975) but by far the best way to learn is thru an established shop or by going to one of the accredited schools (Lassen, Colorado School of Trades, Montgomery Community College, etc.)

cappaletti 06-11-2010 05:55 PM

Almost forgot! (it's the age thing!) Another way to start is by taking a machine shop course at a local community college. It will help a lot...

IMAPEOPLEPERSON 06-11-2010 06:23 PM

I ordered the master gunsmithing course from AGI . I thought it was a valuable asset myself, and feel that anyone could learn from it. The dvd's they send you go into great detail of the firearms and they give you a great library to go back and refresh yourself on the kind of firearm you are working on, at least for me they do. you can start by just ordering one of their videos and see for yourself. I think it was well worth the 8k the class cost, i have always been a tinker with the lathe and mill and i now do far more than i could before i took the course, With the master gunsmith course you get all the firearms videos along with a practical course in machinery. along with test and i could study at my own pace. I thought it was a great investment. Just some food for thought and my 2 cents. here is the link AGI - Home

cappaletti 06-11-2010 08:03 PM

Agi

I also have purchased AGI Armorer's courses (28 total) and like them a lot. A good machinist course along with AGI videos or correspondence/online courses
would probably make the grade!