Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Gunsmithing school online yes or no? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/gunsmithing-school-online-yes-no-40255/)

Billy9mm 03-25-2011 01:52 AM

Gunsmithing school online yes or no?

I am considering taking an online course fron Penn-Foster and was wondering if anyone had any advice? Iwant to retire in a few yrs{5 to 8} and I'm looking at it as a side to some extra income.

canebrake 03-25-2011 02:12 AM

I encourage you to peruse this noble endeavor.

I am not a gunsmith but........there is such a hands-on aspect to smithing that I don't think I could "learn" the profession on-line.

I've been a gun-tinkerer for more years than I care to remember and still consider myself just a pudknocker.

Just remember nobody gets rich gunsmithing. Let me clarify that statement; there are as many rich smiths as there are pro basketball players. A lofty fraternity to aspire to, but it takes years of training and someone with mad skilzz.
It would however, make a great hobby or addiction enabler! Beats the sh1t out of shuffle board. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

c3shooter 03-25-2011 01:36 PM

The on line courses are fine, as long as you only repair guns on internet forums. :p

Seriously some of the home study courses are rather lame. I am a HOBBYIST smith- being a true smith (not a parts replacer) requires a knowledge of metal working, wood working, and how to use tools. Pretty much a tool and die maker, with good furniture making skills.

Do some in depth research on the course (google is your friend) before you sign up for anything. I would look around for a true smith that would like to have an unpaid part time apprentice, as well as any independent study.

danf_fl 03-25-2011 02:16 PM

If you are a veteran, check to see if the VA may help go in-resident.

Jesse17 03-25-2011 02:22 PM

This is something I too have thought about doing, not on-line though. I would just like to learn as much as I can for my own hobby purposes. But I don't think there are any classes close enough I could attend without missing work, and that's not an option in the next couple of years.

masterPsmith 03-25-2011 02:37 PM

Not worth the effort and a waste of money. If you are serious, check into the resident schools, such as Lassen, Colorado School of Trades, or others. If you know a good gunsmith, you might also inquire about donating time in shop in return for instruction. Some smiths will do this, but most will not. Remember, gunsmithing is hands on learning, not book reading or keyboard banging.......

Jim..........

Billy9mm 03-25-2011 07:21 PM

being able to work and go to a school is not possible right now. that is why considering online course. I have 4yrs in railroad machine and 12 yrs in auto machine. I do have a small milling machine and lathe plus other tools and such in my shop here at home. plus i have enough guns of my own to practice on. some of the fellows i work with bring a gun to me every now and then to do a serious cleaning and very minor repairs. but i do want to take a course to get a more detailed knowledge. besides this is not going to be a full time job just a sideline for when i retire.

Car54 03-25-2011 09:02 PM

Just curious, is it A.G.I. that you're looking at?

Billy9mm 03-25-2011 09:21 PM

The schools that i looked at so far was Penn-Foster and Sonoran Desert Institute

willshoum 03-25-2011 10:05 PM

No such Animal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy9mm (Post 472537)
being able to work and go to a school is not possible right now. that is why considering online course. I have 4yrs in railroad machine and 12 yrs in auto machine. I do have a small milling machine and lathe plus other tools and such in my shop here at home. plus i have enough guns of my own to practice on. some of the fellows i work with bring a gun to me every now and then to do a serious cleaning and very minor repairs. but i do want to take a course to get a more detailed knowledge. besides this is not going to be a full time job just a sideline for when i retire.

Go for it, I get the freebees from the gun schools, But you can't beat hands own experience. Seeing how you already have guns to practice on, plus the machining part you are off to a good start. Unless you are like me and can't find your a$$ with toilet paper!!!! Iv'e got over 35 yrs. in the machine shop bidness, weld every thing rebuild every thing, But to save my a$4 I can't remember what went where. ANY HOW WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE......:D