gunsmithing help!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > gunsmithing help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default gunsmithing help!

I want to be a gunsmith and I know they don't get paid much but tell me in your experience as a gunsmith did you make enough to hold a house or apartment and did you have money for food?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Cameron- I am not a smith- but I know several sucessful ones- they have made a living at it for a number of years. They do not spend weekends on a yacht, but they are not living on Ramen noodles, either. I would estimate that their income is roughly equal to other skilled tradesmen in the area- electricians, machinsts, etc. The ones that also sell firearms have decent businesses.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are good enough and can build a following by word of mouth you can do fairly good. If you arent good enough yet dont quit your day job. Im a certified gun smith now and im still lookin for full time work even though i have a fairly decent # of customers-regulars

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #4

The only way to make a living working on guns is to do it for the government. I.E. police dept, marshals, dept of energy ( yes they have gunsmiths I worked for them for 4 years) military, etc. ... Otherwise it's just a nice hobby in the civilian world. Yes there are some who do it full time but they are few and far between.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ1982
The only way to make a living working on guns is to do it for the government. I.E. police dept, marshals, dept of energy ( yes they have gunsmiths I worked for them for 4 years) military, etc. ... Otherwise it's just a nice hobby in the civilian world. Yes there are some who do it full time but they are few and far between.
Great advice and very true advice. Part of my regulars are cops.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

My suggestion is to go around to small towns and talk to the local cops chances are they are carrying a glock on there hip an 870 in the car and maybe an m16 in the trunk. They are all very easy to work on and they prob don't have a certified armorer to do routine work on them. Offer them a package deal all 3 weapons every 6 months for 45-55 dollars. And if your good you can talk them into making u a reserve officer. That's a get out of tickets free badge. Lol. But don't do this unless u have certificates to back up your talk. I E armorers certs or gunsmithing cert. good luck. This is what I did and it's hit and miss.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Ya cuz they WILL ask to see them most of the time if they are smart

Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes you can make a living as a 'smith.
No I don't recommend it to anyone who wants to get rich.
I graduated gunsmithing school 2 1/2 years ago and I have opened a full retail shop since then.
To really make it you need to have a fully stocked front side and a damn good 'smith in the back.
My wife and I run it 7 days a week and I honestly can't remember the last true "weekend" I had.
Before I can give you good advice, will you answer a couple of questions for me?

1. How old are you?
2. Are you mechanically inclined?
3. Do you like school?

The reason I ask this is most people who have asked me how to become a gunsmith are looking for a sit on your a** job with no schooling involved.
They don't seem to understand that even once you get a shop open, you're still learning something new.
Also, if you are still in High School go talk to your local shop and see what they might be able to tell you about it.
Ask if you could sit in the shop for a day and watch what goes on.
After that, if you're still interested go to a school that offers gunsmithing as a class.
I went to Lassen JC and in my opinion they have the best classes in the country not to mention some top notch LEA send their armorer's up there to be certified.
If I haven't scared you off by now, feel free to ask all the questions you want or you can PM me with more.

Happy shooting
--Creekside

Habitual collector of Hamilton .22 Boys Rifles

Great deals on magazines and ammunition, PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside_Sports
Yes you can make a living as a 'smith.
No I don't recommend it to anyone who wants to get rich.
I graduated gunsmithing school 2 1/2 years ago and I have opened a full retail shop since then.
To really make it you need to have a fully stocked front side and a damn good 'smith in the back.
My wife and I run it 7 days a week and I honestly can't remember the last true "weekend" I had.
Before I can give you good advice, will you answer a couple of questions for me?

1. How old are you?
2. Are you mechanically inclined?
3. Do you like school?

The reason I ask this is most people who have asked me how to become a gunsmith are looking for a sit on your a** job with no schooling involved.
They don't seem to understand that even once you get a shop open, you're still learning something new.
Also, if you are still in High School go talk to your local shop and see what they might be able to tell you about it.
Ask if you could sit in the shop for a day and watch what goes on.
After that, if you're still interested go to a school that offers gunsmithing as a class.
I went to Lassen JC and in my opinion they have the best classes in the country not to mention some top notch LEA send their armorer's up there to be certified.
If I haven't scared you off by now, feel free to ask all the questions you want or you can PM me with more.

Happy shooting
--Creekside
Great advice. You can also try to get an apprenticeship

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm a certified gunsmith. But I just do jobs here and there, and I certainly don't make much money at it. As someone said, you can get a job with the government. A police department armorer for instance. Or working for a gun company, servicing guns. I live about 20 minutes from Browning's service center and they hire full time gunsmiths from time to time. But the only people I know who've made a run at a good living doing it on their own, is those with the money and the training to set up a full fledged machine shop and do major jobs and custom work. Like rechambering a gun for a different cartridge, making custom barrels, or stuff like that. There's money in that. Good money. But for the simple day to day stuff, there's just not enough money in it. I've replaced broken parts in guns, done trigger work, done polish and tunes, etc. Make $30 here, $50 there, but it'll never pay the bills or put food on the table.