Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmithing Education

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Gunsmithing Education

I will be attending conventional college in GA this fall, but would like to learn a thing or two about gunsmithing. Something that would get me a certificate; to qualify me to some degree.

As far as experience goes, I have some time at a machine shop on a lathe, and I have handled firearms since I was 6.

What should I look for in a school/course? Are online courses worth it? Are there any reputable schools I should look into? How long does gunsmithing school take part time or full time? Thanks for your time. I shoot my guns but I want to know more about them, with the ability to confidently assemble and disassemble them.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8646 Times on 3745 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Disclaimer- I am NOT a smith- am a hobbyist and a collector.

IMHO, there are parts changers, and there are gunsmiths. There are a few good schools that DO teach gunsmithing- a good part fo which is being able to use a lathe, use a milling machine, etc. Some of which is knowing woodworking. The Colorado School of Trades in Trinidad CO comes up a lot, and there are a few others.

The on line or gunsmith in a CD-ROM, well, best I can say is not many satisfied customers. You might check to see if there is an established smith in your area that would like an apprentice.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Most on-line courses may not have what you need to accomplish the task. Their goal is primarly to get some money out of you.
Go in-resident or as C3 sez, apprenticeship.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #4

I have taken 1 correspondence course (1975) and 2 online courses in gunsmithing. the problem with these courses of study is no "hands on" experience. gunsmithing is specialized and it requires specialized training in GUNSMITHING lathes/mills etc. machining is not all the same! CO School of Trades, Montgomery County Community College, Troy, NC, Yavapai Community College, AZ, Lassen Community College, CA are all good schools. You might also consider the American Gunsmithing Institute (AGI). I've got about 35 of their armourer's courses on dvd and they're fairly in depth. Good luck!!!

Gene

Life Member - NRA
Member - GOA
Member - American Gunsmith Association
Member - New Zealand Society of Gunsmiths
Member - SAF
Member - CCRKBA

God bless the USA and all those that protect her!....