Gunsmithing courses in Louisiana?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmithing courses in Louisiana?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gunsmithing courses in Louisiana?

I've noticed there are a few people on here from Louisiana. Has anyone heard of gunsmithing courses that happen in the state? I believe Delgado used to have them, but I looked yesterday at their website and didn't find anything.

Are there quality online gunsmithing courses that any of you guys would recommend? I have come across a few, but I'd like to hear another more experienced perspective.

"LA TUTLEK... ANA SAHAFI!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #2

I found some old threads regarding "online courses" so unless anyone wants to comment on that I think I got it covered for right now. I still was not able to find anything about actual hands-on courses in Louisiana, so any input in that regard would be appreciated.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Are you aware that Clark Custom Guns is in Monroe?
The best way to learn is hands on in-residence. Some may even apprentice at a smith shop in their spare time. (A gunsmith who has a lot of work may appreciate a helping hand.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #4

If Clark Custom wasn't six hours away I'd be driving there right now. I will have to check them out on a weekend.

An apprenticeship with someone who has in-depth technical knowledge would be ideal. The issue is that all the businesses near me have a "the gunsmith only comes in on Monday" sort of situation. The smithing aspect is generally peripheral to other aspects of firearms business and some of the work I've been handed over as a "finished product" was somewhat embarrassing. So that is what prompted me into taking the idea more seriously. I will dig around more and see what I come up with... there has got to be someone... it's the South.

As of right now I'm looking into machining courses at a college here: lathe, mill, CNC. I figure that with a School of Hard Knocks curriculum might prove most useful for now instead of waiting around for a perfect situation.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #5

Clark Customs is in Princeton, LA. I know I stay right down the road in Minden.