Gunsmithing classes? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmithing classes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Once again in my opinion to be a good gunsmith, not a good machinist one must start by learning ballistics, firearm mechanics, accuracy trouble shooting, proper gun maintinance " and no most people who claim to love guns do not maintain them properly", reloading and case trouble shooting. Machine work is not involved in 95% of this. Your not gonna say hey I'm a machinist so let me work on your guns. Understand firearms first then go from there.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8501 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11053

The OP has said that he is a certified tool maker. I think that can only serve to make him a better gunsmith. He also obviously has enough knowledge to be considering learning and that is what you need. In order to succeed he would need to learn all of the elements involved in firearms and I might add that he must also (in order to become successful) learn the history of firearms. I would hope that all of this would be included in a comprehensive gunsmithing course, online or in a classroom.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
The OP has said that he is a certified tool maker. I think that can only serve to make him a better gunsmith. He also obviously has enough knowledge to be considering learning and that is what you need. In order to succeed he would need to learn all of the elements involved in firearms and I might add that he must also (in order to become successful) learn the history of firearms. I would hope that all of this would be included in a comprehensive gunsmithing course, online or in a classroom.
They also have a fire arms technology class. Would it be smart to take that first?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8501 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11053

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick223 View Post
They also have a fire arms technology class. Would it be smart to take that first?
I imagine that any school worth its salt will have a specific sequence they want you to use.