Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmithing classes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gunsmithing classes?

I want to take some gun smithing classes don't know how to go about doing it! I was wondering if there's any on line classes or what I would half todo trade school, college? any advice or knowledge would be great!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8414 Times on 3647 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

There are several self study/ DVD programs out there. Have heard everything from "Yuck" to "it's pretty good". Best reports I have heard are from schools that deal specifically in that- Colorado School of Trades in Trinidad CO being among the best. You can also find a real gunsmith that wants an apprentice.

I would start by getting out of Illinois.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #3

Thanks I'm going to look into the schooling not many gun smiths around me lol

Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #4

Is there anyone in Ohio that would like to take on an apprentice? I live in the Miami Valley area, I am getting ready to leave law enforcement and would love to become a gunsmith, also I have a lot of contacts with local Law Enforcement departments. They are always looking for someone to fix their weapons in town as to shipping them off for repair.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #5

I'm not to sure about Ohio? But I live in Michigan and there's not many around me and the ones that are don't want an apprentice . Ur best bet is to call around and seek them out! Any of ur local gun stores should have one or two!

Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you have a strong back ground in metal lathes and milling machines you have the background you will need. If you do not you will need a 2 year Trg. program at a major recognized school. Most of these are in the South and West .

Old 02-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #7

That's bull most gunsmithing does not require much lathe and mill work. I have been a gunsmith for years and own my own business in northern Indiana.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #8

You would never work on any of my guns. Any shop without a Milling Machine and a Lathe is not able to do true custom gun work.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #9

Lol I have both, but you hardly need years of machine experience just to start gun smithing. If you know what your talking about you'd know that.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #10

There is a big jump from a "Gun Tinker" and a true custom gun shop. I have been shooting High Power matches NRA for over 40 years. The best custom gun shops are outstanding masters of top machine work. Let me know where you are set up at Camp Perry I would like to see your work.