Gunsmith school question - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmith school question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner43

I got the book version and submitted the exams on line. The nice thing about the books is to me they are easier to refer back to than the CDs.
You can do either one but the paper copy cost a little more.

gunner
How long does it usually take?

Old 05-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanch View Post
How long does it usually take?
The time required is almost entirely up to you. Each lesson can be done in an hour or so if you want to just look up the test questions and submit the answers. It takes longer to read the material, test your own understanding and talk with an instructor to really learn the subject. There are six loose leaf books with a total of 50 lessons and six labs.
After I finish the course this week I am going to continue with them and get my Associates of Science degree with a major in Firearms Technology.

Gunner

Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner43

The time required is almost entirely up to you. Each lesson can be done in an hour or so if you want to just look up the test questions and submit the answers. It takes longer to read the material, test your own understanding and talk with an instructor to really learn the subject. There are six loose leaf books with a total of 50 lessons and six labs.
After I finish the course this week I am going to continue with them and get my Associates of Science degree with a major in Firearms Technology.

Gunner
And u can do all that online? I am a truck driver I am out for a night at a time, so that's when I will mostly b doing it and then when my 2 y/o and 6 month old are sleeping.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanch View Post
And u can do all that online? I am a truck driver I am out for a night at a time, so that's when I will mostly b doing it and then when my 2 y/o and 6 month old are sleeping.
Yep you can do all of the class work on line. The lab work is a hands on thing that you will need to actually learn to use the tools that come with the course but again that is at your own pace. The actual skill with the tools may take months or years of working with them. Like the stock checkering tool kit. That beautiful checkering job is NOT an iron on sticker!!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #25

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

seanch, check this;

Gunsmithing School List

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
seanch, check this;

Gunsmithing School List
Thanks for all the info

Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #27

I currently have a crappy job stocking shelves at a wine making supply store and I am also intrested in becoming a gunsmith as a career change, I love to work with my hands but I've only been around guns for the past year so my knowledge of firearms is minimal at best. I am currently enrolled at penn foster doing their gunsmith program and I was wondering if anybody knew anything about apprenticships in texas because I don't really feel I am laerning much. Thanks

Old 05-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchofjunk
I currently have a crappy job stocking shelves at a wine making supply store and I am also intrested in becoming a gunsmith as a career change, I love to work with my hands but I've only been around guns for the past year so my knowledge of firearms is minimal at best. I am currently enrolled at penn foster doing their gunsmith program and I was wondering if anybody knew anything about apprenticships in texas because I don't really feel I am laerning much. Thanks
Welcome to FTF. Penn foster is a decent starter course. How's it going?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #29

Its ok I would much rather perfer an actual hands on class but there just aren't any in texas, the closest school is murray state collage in oklahoma. I agree it is a good way to get some base knowledge but the fact that I can't even talk to someone face to face is a little discouraging but we've all got to start somewhere right? I am only 16% done so I've got plenty of learning to do

Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Well you have us if you have any questions.