Gunsmith school question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Gunsmith school question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanch

Is there a big demand for a gunsmiths.
Not enough for me to pay the bills. I have my business partner/mentors client base plus some of my own and it isn't enough

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #12

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I was a gunsmith ( now retired) my ex wife has been a truck driver for the last five years. She makes more per year than I did as a gunsmith most years. Other things to think of with family is insurance and such. I went to school at 18 long before the family came along. I'm not sure how it would have worked out the other way around. And as all the other gunsmiths on here will tell you there will probably be part time / second jobs along the way. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Absolutely. Not to mention that in order to really stay busy you need to make one Hell of an investment in tools and machinery unless you are based in a store as was previously stated.
I would recommend taking an online class for a start and if possible getting a home based ffl. Start by cleaning and repairing friends gun and doing online sales etc. Buy cheap guns that need work and fix and sell them. This all requires a minimal investment you can do on the side and if things get going well enough you will know if full time is viable.
I have been doing this for a while now. Sometimes I saty busy and other times slower. Building up customers in your area is a must. Take adds in small local papers. Get NRA certified and teach people how to shoot. Anything to get exposure locally.

HH54r
American Gunsmithing Institute Member

Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #14

Amen to all that stuff. I started gunsmithing after retirement and find that it is a fun pastime that pays a little. If I depended on my business to pay the bills the wife and I would be pretty cold and hungry. Guns don't break very often.

Gunner

Old 05-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #15

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I'm in a similar boat. I had to leave trucking for medical reasons. I now work with developmentally disabled adults to pay most of the bills but I have been thinking about using my passion for firearms to get into gunsmithing sounds like its best as a second income. I have been thinking about building a small shooting range on my property, that could help too.

Last edited by srtolly1; 05-07-2012 at 03:48 AM.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtolly1
I'm in a similar boat. I had to leave trucking for medical reasons. I now work with developmentally disabled adults to pay most of the bills but I have been thinking about using my passion for firearms to get into gunsmithing sounds like its best as a second income. I have been thinking about building a small shooting range on my property, that could help too.
Thats cool, helping those in need...

Old 05-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #17

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I've been looking in to some online schools to get a base to build on then trying to get an apprenticeship. I'm a supervisor where I work now so I can have my hours be somewhat flexible.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtolly1 View Post
I've been looking in to some online schools to get a base to build on then trying to get an apprenticeship. I'm a supervisor where I work now so I can have my hours be somewhat flexible.
I chose the Sonoran Desert Institute and will finish my certification this month. After that I am going to continue and get an AS degree with a major in Firearms Technology at the same school.
Check them out. The course is current, reasonable and approved for the GI Bill and VA.

Tell Pam I said HI

Roger Gunsmith

Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner43

I chose the Sonoran Desert Institute and will finish my certification this month. After that I am going to continue and get an AS degree with a major in Firearms Technology at the same school.
Check them out. The course is current, reasonable and approved for the GI Bill and VA.

Tell Pam I said HI

Roger Gunsmith
Is this an online school?

Old 05-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanch View Post
Is this an online school?
I got the book version and submitted the exams on line. The nice thing about the books is to me they are easier to refer back to than the CDs.
You can do either one but the paper copy cost a little more.

gunner