Gunsmith school question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmith school question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gunsmith school question

I am thinking about going to gunsmith school, how hard is it? And what basically would I need, and would it be worth it demand wise, right now I am a truck driver so I make pretty good $. What all do I need like high school diploma. Any help would be helpful to me. Are the online classes worth it or hands on classes. Please help. Thanks all

Last edited by canebrake; 05-11-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You need a good mechanical aptitude, patience and to be able to work with your hands. A brick and mortar school is your best bet if you can afford the time and money. There are some decent online programs for a knowledge base and some that are complete bs. I would not suggest getting into gunsmithing if making money is your goal. You need to have a Passion for firearms.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
You need a good mechanical aptitude, patience and to be able to work with your hands. A brick and mortar school is your best bet if you can afford the time and money. There are some decent online programs for a knowledge base and some that are complete bs. I would not suggest getting into gunsmithing if making money is your goal. You need to have a Passion for firearms.
Agreed. All the gunsmiths i know either do it as a hobby in their spare time, or own a gunshop.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do it as a hobby and I'm a partner in a gun shop. If $ is your big desire stay on the road. I don't know bout online classes since I had a mentor.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
Yeah I do have a Passion for firearms, I've been around them all my life, I just wanted to know if it would pay the bills cause if I go for it, it would be a big career change.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanch

Yeah I do have a Passion for firearms, I've been around them all my life, I just wanted to know if it would pay the bills cause if I go for it, it would be a big career change.
Plus I would be home with wife and kids ever day, I have a 2 year old and a 6 mounth old I am missing to much with her.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman
I do it as a hobby and I'm a partner in a gun shop. If $ is your big desire stay on the road. I don't know bout online classes since I had a mentor.

Is there a big demand for a gunsmiths.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post

That pretty much says it all... In other words: "Don't quit your day job" Especially with young'ns like you've got. Very few can make a living at this unless they are also tying it to a retail shop. They are in demand but just not quite rock star demand...

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 04-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #9

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Your odds of making a living doing gunsmithing would be possible but only after building a large customer base(thinks in terms of years).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
Your odds of making a living doing gunsmithing would be possible but only after building a large customer base(thinks in terms of years).
Absolutely. Not to mention that in order to really stay busy you need to make one Hell of an investment in tools and machinery unless you are based in a store as was previously stated.
I would recommend taking an online class for a start and if possible getting a home based ffl. Start by cleaning and repairing friends gun and doing online sales etc. Buy cheap guns that need work and fix and sell them. This all requires a minimal investment you can do on the side and if things get going well enough you will know if full time is viable.

I don't need No stinking signature.