Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Gunsmith school question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/gunsmith-school-question-63357/)

seanch 04-27-2012 03:45 AM

Gunsmith school question

I am thinking about going to gunsmith school, how hard is it? And what basically would I need, and would it be worth it demand wise, right now I am a truck driver so I make pretty good $. What all do I need like high school diploma. Any help would be helpful to me. Are the online classes worth it or hands on classes. Please help. Thanks all

mountainman13 04-27-2012 03:50 AM

You need a good mechanical aptitude, patience and to be able to work with your hands. A brick and mortar school is your best bet if you can afford the time and money. There are some decent online programs for a knowledge base and some that are complete bs. I would not suggest getting into gunsmithing if making money is your goal. You need to have a Passion for firearms.

PlaysWithZombies 04-27-2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
You need a good mechanical aptitude, patience and to be able to work with your hands. A brick and mortar school is your best bet if you can afford the time and money. There are some decent online programs for a knowledge base and some that are complete bs. I would not suggest getting into gunsmithing if making money is your goal. You need to have a Passion for firearms.

Agreed. All the gunsmiths i know either do it as a hobby in their spare time, or own a gunshop.

Marlinman 04-27-2012 03:58 AM

I do it as a hobby and I'm a partner in a gun shop. If $ is your big desire stay on the road. I don't know bout online classes since I had a mentor.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

seanch 04-27-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13

Yeah I do have a Passion for firearms, I've been around them all my life, I just wanted to know if it would pay the bills cause if I go for it, it would be a big career change.

seanch 04-27-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanch

Yeah I do have a Passion for firearms, I've been around them all my life, I just wanted to know if it would pay the bills cause if I go for it, it would be a big career change.

Plus I would be home with wife and kids ever day, I have a 2 year old and a 6 mounth old I am missing to much with her.

seanch 04-27-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman
I do it as a hobby and I'm a partner in a gun shop. If $ is your big desire stay on the road. I don't know bout online classes since I had a mentor.

Is there a big demand for a gunsmiths.

TheOldMan 04-27-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 783354)

That pretty much says it all... In other words: "Don't quit your day job" Especially with young'ns like you've got. Very few can make a living at this unless they are also tying it to a retail shop. They are in demand but just not quite rock star demand...

hiwall 04-27-2012 01:49 PM

Your odds of making a living doing gunsmithing would be possible but only after building a large customer base(thinks in terms of years).

mountainman13 04-27-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
Your odds of making a living doing gunsmithing would be possible but only after building a large customer base(thinks in terms of years).

Absolutely. Not to mention that in order to really stay busy you need to make one Hell of an investment in tools and machinery unless you are based in a store as was previously stated.
I would recommend taking an online class for a start and if possible getting a home based ffl. Start by cleaning and repairing friends gun and doing online sales etc. Buy cheap guns that need work and fix and sell them. This all requires a minimal investment you can do on the side and if things get going well enough you will know if full time is viable.