Gunsmith school programs. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmith school programs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

There is a college called Yavapai college in Prescott Arizona that claims to be the best in the nation for gunsmithing. I am currently on the alternate waiting list for fall 2014 meaning if someone backs out I could possibly get in and if I don't get in 2014 I have a first seat to fall 2015. They had a waiting list of two years when I applied my junior year of high school, I am now in my senior year and they notified me that they had gotten rid of the waiting list because it bounced from two years to four year waiting list. It is now first come first serve. They notified me that I needed to get them a federal back ground check and make a student account at the college.

From this college you can get two certificates and an associates degree in gunsmithing. They did add on a third year course of masters gunsmithing.

The gunsmithing course is located in a warehouse that used to belong to Ruger but they upgraded to a bigger warehouse right next to the old one and donated it to the college. Some other courses such as aviation and automotive thingsare located in the warehouse. (Don't be scared be the word WAREHOUSE the building is extremely clean and well taken care of) there is also one way in and one way out and you have to be buzzed into the building so safety is defiantly a virtue there. And of course no live ammunition is allowed.

Some course that are also located in the warehouse related to gunsmithing are a cnc machining class and also metal engraving. The metal engraving is taught by a professional engraver. Her portfolio is literally amazing. Sorry I cannot remember her name.

They recommend not to even take another classes for the first half of the year while taking the gunsmithing course because it is so hands on interactive .

The down turn is that you are required to have like 15 guns for the first two years and also a couple thousand dollars of tools for the class. The guns are specific and some are expensive such as a m1a and Ar 15. (May not be expensive to you but it is to me)

If your interested then you should check out Yavapai college. The gunsmithing part of the sight is hard to find so you must either search for it in the search bar or go to degrees and certificates and click on the gunsmithing degree or certificates.

If I remember correctly they take in around 40 people a year and all ages are welcome, they have state of the art machinery and your grade is determined on the quality of work you produce.

When I went Susie Check (the gunsmithing program secretary) gave me a tour and told me of a guy who came and only completed two years of the program along with engraving and sold two rifles that he made at the college and profited 20k each rifle! If your into making money then this is also a possibility but I just love guns and want to learn more.

This college compared to Pittsburg gunsmithing school is ten fold better with cleanliness and quality and has more experts in many fields.

More prepared than most. Less prepared than many.