Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmith Horror Stories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666
I had a local gunsmith charge my $15 apiece for the three sideplate screws for a S&W K-Frame revolver. Just the parts, no installation involved. This was 30 years ago.
Same thing for some Dummy screws to fill the holes when I removed the scope & mount on my Marlin 336 30-30. They're charging $4.50/ea. plus $8 shipping online. I got all 4 from my defunct gunsmith trays at the previously mentioned Ace Hardware. I always heard that nothing has any 'value' unless someone else wants it bad enough.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
From the other side of the bench.
Guy brought me a Winchester model 43 in 218 Bee and wanted it drilled and tapped for a scope. I knew those actions are HARD. Drilled the action with a solid carbide drill(these are fragile) and I broke one. Then I had special very hard taps to use on things like this. Broke two on those 4 holes. Mounted his scope and he left a happy customer and I lost about $20 on the deal plus I had the joy of seeing a broken tap sticking out the action twice.
Next time be ready, i find that heating the hard material first to driil. then again to tap, you have to be quick and have all tools in place. An extra set of hands helps alot..............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I would be angry beyond belief.

As if keeping that gun sitting on a shelf for 30 days took up a lot of space.
The SOB had it behind the door way leading into his shop.............

Old 04-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Ok I'll play.
I had a Winchester 94 come into the shop that had been sitting in a damp basement for 15 years. Instead of blueing it had rust. The only thing that was still decent on the gun was the inside of the barrel (bore butter). This thing was so rusted I had to soak it to be able to work the action at all. I told my customer there were no promises but I'd see what I could do.
After a 24 hour soak I went to strip the gun. I managed to get all the screws out down to the last one. It was basically rust welded in. I tried all the pre-drill tricks heat etc. and then drilled the screw and promptly snapped an ez-out off in it. My boss flipped a lid and said I destroyed the gun and that he would have to pay for it and that I should call a customer before I ever take a power tool to a gun. I basically told him that if I had the proper equipment he had promised stuff like this would be less likely to happen (my home shop is better outfitted). Anyway long story short, I dremmeled out the ez-out, drilled out the screw,stripped and soaked everything,used up all my steel wool, drilled and retapped the hole with hand tools, fabricated a custom screw with hand tools and finished the job. The customer was so happy with the job he tipped me $100. The gun now functions flawlessly and I no longer work for that shop.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Last edited by mountainman13; 04-23-2013 at 01:34 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #25
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I guess mine is more of a incompetent boss issue than a gunsmith horror story although it was a nightmare of a job.

I don't need No stinking signature.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Go to guy...............

After working in a machine shop for so many years, This was my worse nitemare. They loaded everything on me that nobody else would touch.................I would grind right hand drills to cut left hand, apply heat to the screw or bolt and mist with a water bottle and remove them from what ever............Never buy drills and or easy outs from a cheap source.................Your hands can feel where as power tools can't..........

Old 04-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #27

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 726

No 'smith will even look at my guns..... They all suck!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #28

Liked 53 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 13

One time a guy brought in a truly ancient and collectable Smith & Wesson .44 spl. revolver, the old "triple lock" variety, and this one was missing the cylinder hand.

It took me almost nine months to find and obtain the part. ( Numrich Arms finally came through ) and several days to get it fitted, and time the revolver. The work was nightmarish as I knew that I would only have one chance to get it right.

I finally got it ready to go, test-fired it, cleaned it up and called the customer, hoping he was still alive after all of that time, as he was quite elderly.

He was thrilled when he picked it up - but I have never been so happy to see something go out the door. - The thing had been in the shop for nine months.

Nightmare.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 04-24-2013 at 01:54 AM.