Gunsmith Horror Stories - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Gunsmith Horror Stories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i am learning and have been for several years to do more and more on my firearms, simply because there just are not any decent gunsmiths close to me and i don't like to wait for someone to work on my firearms, especially if i can do it myself. been doing lots of reading and buying books on gunsmithing.
To me its similar to working on cars, its just fun. Plus it will save you money and you gain experience.
People Like This 
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1788 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

When I was living in Florida I used the services of a well known gunsmith who now is based in Flagstaff, AZ. Had him install a set of better sights on my second Combat Commander, took it to the range fired 5 shots and the front sight blew off, took it back and he fixed it properly the second time.

Buddy of mine used the same gunsmith to have a set of adjustable sights put on his Remington Rand .45, they were going to work the slide so the sights sat lower on the slide, they cut the new rear dovetail wrong and the rear sight was canted about 3-5 degrees off of vertical due to the way the dovetail was cut, the slide was ruined, they refused to fix/replace it needless to say we never went back again.
“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly
People Like This 
Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3379 Times on 1934 Posts
Likes Given: 1437

I do my own work after some bad experiences with sights flying off.

Since I started, I branched off into other areas.

So far, things have worked out.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
willshoum Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #14

Liked 811 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 249

From the other side of the bench.
Guy brought me a Winchester model 43 in 218 Bee and wanted it drilled and tapped for a scope. I knew those actions are HARD. Drilled the action with a solid carbide drill(these are fragile) and I broke one. Then I had special very hard taps to use on things like this. Broke two on those 4 holes. Mounted his scope and he left a happy customer and I lost about $20 on the deal plus I had the joy of seeing a broken tap sticking out the action twice.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #15

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
From the other side of the bench.
Not what I had in mind, but what the hell. Gunsmith + horror... Yeah, it counts

To be fair, I've heard far worse stories of bad gunsmith customers.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'd been looking for a Weaver-style Base mount for my S&W 610 revolver to attach a Red-Dot scope my kid got me for Christmas (butt-ugly thing - whatta ya gonna do?). I'm so far north in Wisconsin that I never even thought about lookin' for a gunsmith, but I heard there used to be one who worked outta the ole Ace Hardware store in town - so I got the owner to let me rummage thru his parts trays and pillage what I needed. In return - I fix his guns best I can. I found a top-mount base, but the 4 slots weren't gonna work with this lil' scope. So I marked the mount, put it in a vice (protected by wood slats) and went at it in my garage with a Hack saw, Rasp, and Cylinder file. 30 minutes later I had it modified to perfection. I mounted the scope - took a few pictures for my kid - took it all off - reattached my iron sights - and would rather not speak of it again. Damn ugly thing ...
image-1979670228.jpg   image-3366133318.jpg  

Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10278 Times on 4434 Posts
Likes Given: 1631

Well, there WAS the guy that nickel plated a S&W revolver for me.

Problem was, it was an older blued revolver in very good condition. I had taken it to him to have a new trigger spring fitted. Not to be refinished. He had gotten it mixed in with some of his plating work.

Then wanted to charge me $150 for the plating job (which I had not ordered, and which lowered the value of the gun). He still had not replaced the spring.

Pay you? No. I will pay you after a judge tells me to pay you. See you in court.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Seer sucker...........

I had a smith change a fireing pin on a rem. 12 gauge. Cost was $45.00. I didn't get around to picking it up till 30 days later. He then charged me a storage fee Of $30.00...........

Old 04-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #19

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a local gunsmith charge my $15 apiece for the three sideplate screws for a S&W K-Frame revolver. Just the parts, no installation involved. This was 30 years ago.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #20
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8452 Times on 5051 Posts
Likes Given: 11018

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, there WAS the guy that nickel plated a S&W revolver for me.

Problem was, it was an older blued revolver in very good condition. I had taken it to him to have a new trigger spring fitted. Not to be refinished. He had gotten it mixed in with some of his plating work.

Then wanted to charge me $150 for the plating job (which I had not ordered, and which lowered the value of the gun). He still had not replaced the spring.

Pay you? No. I will pay you after a judge tells me to pay you. See you in court.
I would be angry beyond belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
I had a smith change a fireing pin on a rem. 12 gauge. Cost was $45.00. I didn't get around to picking it up till 30 days later. He then charged me a storage fee Of $30.00...........
As if keeping that gun sitting on a shelf for 30 days took up a lot of space.